Instinct

"I had another one," I told Sky. Taking the longest run I've ever taken and hardly think twice how it was the first time I've ever run around the neighborhood for an hour at full speed seemed normal now. From what my parents point out, I don't eat grapes anymore. True, just for some reason, I don't like them. I am dressing differently. I've worked out at the gym yesterday and now a run this morning. Ironically, I feel like I'm running from something, but I'm chasing something. I'm stuck in an in between. I'm changing and I don't know what it is. I don't like my clothes. The grapes, honestly I just don't know why. I've only been back home a few days.

But here I stand in my best friends bedroom sweaty but breathing just a little harder than normal.

"What? Tell me." She said.

"I can't do it Aiden. I'm a girl, I know what my life will be like." I said. I'm younger. Maybe around 12. A guy around 16 or 17 stood next to me. But looking at his face I know who it is. It's one of my brothers. Emmet. He was muscular just as he is now.

"I'm your cousin, both of us know what you can really do. I learned this from the best of the best. Nora, you can learn too." He held out the bow. I took it in my hand. It was heavier than I expected.

He guided me through the movements. I held the string in my fingers."Control your breathing." he said. I did. In through my nose out through my mouth. I pulled back the string to my cheek."Keep your elbow up." He pushed it up so it was straight and I looked at the target he made on the tree. A simple piece of cloth with a big circle on it."Feel the air, the wind around you." I closed my eyes for a moment. It was warm out, I was stuck under layers and layers of this stupid dress. But on my wrist were skin showed I could feel it. The light wind in the air."Look at the target. Aim."I opened my eyes and saw the target. I moved the bow to line it up."Let go." I did as told. The arrow flew through the air fast I only saw as it hit just below the target.

"Wow." I turned to Aiden."That's..." I have no words. A girl would never be able to do this in the public eye. I'd be outcasted.

"Amazing. I didn't even do that well on my first try." Aiden stepped in front of me." Nora,...You are the strongest girl I know. I see you stuck in a place where you don't want to be and it's killing you. Make Uncle John teach you. Make a difference. Show this town what a woman can really do." He kissed my head.

"Do you have to go?" I asked. He's my cousin. But he's more like my brother. Been there since I was a baby after his mom and dad passed and my parents took him in. Then when I was 2 they were killed in a fire leaving us with our uncle John. He's taught Aiden in private and hid it from me till recently when I caught them. Him leaving, moving to another town...I hated the idea. Made me want to hit and kick him.

"I do. I'm going to help that city. Help those who need it. Stop the evil from bleeding into the good." He pulled me into a hug."Maybe one day you'll do the same." He grabbed my hand and I used my free hand to pull the front of my dress up enough for me to walk. I walked with him by my side.

"Emmet, was Aiden?" Sky asked. I crossed my arms.

"Yeah."

"So he's the guy Robin Hood from all those years ago?"I just looked at her confused.Guy Robin hood?"A few towns over I found old stories of a robin hood there. Turns out being a hero runs in that family I guess."I put my hands to my face.

"This is so messed up." I want to run. I want to punch and kick something. I want to fight. Before the accident fighting in any way was never on my mind.

"Hey, go home get changed. I'll pick you up in half an hour." I watched as Sky started to move around her room.

"Why? Where are you taking me?"