"What trouble are you brewing this time, old man?"

"Hey." Hearing her question, Brandon faked a hurt look. "Which part of me screams old?"

Of course, Ophee wasn't buying his act. She went straight to the point. "You brought Shields with you." She gestured at the men. "Are they criminals on the run? From which family?"

Brandon smiled, answering her honestly. "I've been ordered to bring them back and train them."

Train them.

Ophee opened her mouth in surprise. It wasn't everyday that her family recruit trainees. There will always be multiple checks on various issues, like their personal histories, their personalities, their potentials, and more importantly -- most importantly -- if they were curse carriers.

She pursed her lips. "Things aren't as simple as I thought. Were they being... hunted?"

"Yes."

If there was one thing she liked about her young uncle, it was that he never treated her like a kid. They were both too smart to play word games, and he had always disclosed things to her as long as the information was within his level of clearance.

"This could get tricky then," she sighed.

"I knew something was off when I saw the smoke signal. You were never the type to rely on others for help. If you were trapped there by yourself, we would probably have to rely on Little Cee's Eyes to find you. Everyone was on high alert ever since news about fugitives running about was disclosed by our spies. We have to be extra careful."

Ophee understood that Smiling Brat and Prince Blondie might not be complaining about the gravity of their situation, but if left unattended, their injuries could kill them. She had no choice but to help. Not to mention there was Cee's painting. What if one of those boys... never mind.

Besides, she was curious about their white string. From the moment her ability was realized, she could count with her fingers the encounters she had with white string owners. It was that rare. "Did my sister order you to come personally?"

Brandon nodded. "She told me something interesting," and then he grinned like a Cheshire cat, "but I never expected there will be two. There's going to be so much drama once your mother learns – "

"Shut up."

"No way." He threw down his gears to one of the men behind the trees. "I'm enjoying this way too much. Besides, it's been a while since Little Cee brought good news to the family. Lately, all her visions had been omens of catastrophe. And we do need to break that bleak mood at the barn. Christian and Falcon might be sudden and surprising, but they are also very welcomed."

"Who could tell whether their arrival is a good thing or a bad one?" Ophee muttered. Dealing with things about the future had always been complicated. "All we knew is that someone is coming. It might not be them."

I wonder if it's a good thing that I asked Cee to burn that unfinished painting. Maybe, that will stop her prophecy from coming true?

"Don't be a downer."

"This is me being pragmatic."

"Think about all the pranks we can pull on them. Then, if I throw you into the mix, won't you fall in love with one of them sooner than later?" He laughed. "Both boys are good-looking, but genes aside, I prefer --"

"You're radiating too much solar energy, old man." She unceremoniously hit the back of his head.

"It keeps me young and fresh."