The Lesser Leader

Start from the beginning

Thrushnose snorted. "You expect me to know?"

"True," purred Robinear. "Hey, Kestrelwing?" she called. "Are we on hunting duty?"

Kestrelwing flicked her tail. "I believe so," she mewed, the paused, thinking. "Wait, I think only you are, Thrushnose."

Robinear straightened suddenly. "Can I go with her?"

Kestrelwing purred and winked. "Of course!"

They exited the den, walked across the camp, and were in the woods quickly, and that was when Robinear finally, utterly broke down.

She couldn't handle it, she really couldn't. She knew EXACTLY what was going to happen when Willowpaw became a full member, and she knew nothing could stop it. Leopardpaw wouldn't dare mess with his brother, and she was just doomed.

I'm doomed,  she repeated.

She was going to have to be with him, whether she liked it or not.

It was horrible, was what it was, but it was the way of living in FloraClan. It had been, ever since the sickness that had killed off so many kits.

Robinear curled up, tail over her eyes, and shook. Her mind was racing like a hare, and she barely registered Thrushnose laying down beside her.

"It's ok, Robinear," she murmured. "I know this isn't great, but...I promise, if you end up having..." She curled her lip, "...his kits, I will love them like they are ours."

Robinear turned to stare at her... Clanmate? Mate? warmly. No words needed to be said to convey how much that meant to her, and Thrushnose patted her gently with her tail. 

"I love you, Robinear," the white-furred she-cat murmured.

Somehow, those four words infused Robinear with more warmth, courage and strength than she thought her weak, frail body contained. She stood up and leaned against Thrushnose and purred. "Let's hunt, then, shall we?"

Thrushnose nodded. "Of course," she answered. "Fishing?"

Robinear dipped her head in assent. "Sure," she mewed, then paused. "I love you too." 

~----------------------------------------------~

It wasn't long before they had to return.

Somehow, Thrushnose's confession had boosted her confidence and endurance, and the silver tabby had managed to catch three fish. 

Now, though, her apprehension was returning.

"All cats old enough to serve meet under the Great Tree!"

The fear and dread was making her paws feel like they weighed more than a boulder, and she struggled to approach the tree. Her heart dropped as she was Willowpaw looking smug near the rock, and Leopardpaw looked both excited and worried at once. Bearpaw looked unconcered.

"FloraClan gathers here today to witness the ascension of ranks of three cats from trainees to full members. Bearpaw, step forward," mewed Oakbranch.

Bearpaw did so, his posture somehow both submissive and intimidating.

For a moment, Bearpaw's russet pelt shifted to a light brown under her gaze. Tankit had been like that once...always eager to impress, eager to fight...

If only I had that strength...

For all her bravado earlier against Willowpaw, the silver tabby knew that when he truly approached her, she'd submit. Without protest.