chapter thirty-eight

how did I get here?

where am I?

I don't think i've ever seen this room before. was I kidnapped? did someone abduct me or something?

what is this?

I stand up and look around the room, It's almost completely empty besides for a few boxes in the corner, there is only one window and out it all I see is grassy fields.

the door is slightly open, my judgement is faded and I open it the rest of the way and walk down the hall.

everything is so plain.

there are a few doors, all are open, every room is empty.

down the stairs, there's a living room with a single chair in it, and an empty kitchen.

I was alone here.

lost and and confused.

I want to scream, to shout, to cry, but what if I wasn't really alone.

my heart is beating out of my chest, I needed to get out of here.

I rush to the living room door, I try and try to open it but I can't, the door won't budge.

my heart is beating faster, my hands are trembling. what's going to happen to me?

I rush back into the kitchen and through to the next room.

there is an open door, and through it, I see the same grassy fields from upstairs.

I make a run for it, without anything.

I practically jump out of the door and onto the ground.

then I run, and I don't stop. my feet weren't getting tired and I couldn't see anything ahead of me, just the grass.

then behind me, the strange house I was just in that I didn't recognize. I keep running, I never feel out of breath, I never feel the need to stop.

no matter how far or how fast I run, the house is still behind me and perfectly visible.

I want to scream.

I jolt up, my heart pounding in my chest, my entire body shaking.

I look around, it's fairly dark, I look out the window and outside I see that it's still night time. next to me, I feel awsten's sleeping body.

it was only a dream.

my heart starts to calm down and I lay back down. awsten and I had drifted apart so I moved in closer, and it took me a while, but I fell back asleep.

•••

it wasn't a dream, it was a nightmare. one that I didn't understand.

it had been happening a few times a week for over a month now.

each night I felt more fear than the previous times, the only thing that was kept consistent is that I was always alone.

alone in a house, the same house for a while. only each time something would be added, shadows, noises, even all locked doors so I couldn't escape.

then it was different houses, different locations, and eventually it would lead to me realizing that there wasn't anyone else, it was an empty world.