chapter three

my drive to work is about 15 minutes and although I could work somewhere closer, I prefer being here.

I work at a clothing store at the nearest mall and its pays okay but I also get discounts and it's fairly fun for a job, my manager is great and all the others who work here are fun and friendly.

I guess I hit the jackpot in the work lottery, and believe me, I am ever so grateful for it.

"hey maisie! you're schedule has already posted for the next two weeks and you should be good for it, I'm actually heading out, you shouldn't be very busy today, someone's already in for about two more hours but then becca's coming in until close too." my manager says to me as soon as I step in.

the mall has already been open for a little while, but not long, and I have an 8 hour shift ahead of me but it's not an issue. my manager does a quick check around the store and then she's out.

I don't really know who the other girl is that's currently working with me but there's no one in the store right now so I go to the back to drop off my stuff.

•••

my shift goes by smoothly and it's already 6:30, only an hour and a half left on my shift and I shouldn't have to stay after because becca and I have been keeping on taking care of everything as soon as a mess or issue occurs.

she decides to take a 30 minute break to go and grab a bite to eat after asking me if it would be okay. I was totally chill with it because like my manager predicted, it was dead.

there was only one customer in the store at the moment and she was an older woman probably shopping for her daughter based on the way she herself was dressed compared to the clothes that we sell.

she was taking her time and asked me for my opinion a couple of times and that was about it. I stood behind the front counter where I could watch over the entire store and see who entered and left. then I saw a few familiar faces  walk by.

they passed by chattering away when one of them shouts "shoot, wait, I need a few new pairs of black jeans, mine are like completed faded."

"rue 21 isn't the best place to get jeans bro." one responds.

"yeah, yeah, whatever let's just go in anyways because I personally like them."

the boys take a few steps back and then they walk into the store.

the waterparks boys. they remember me I guess, or at least some of them do because one of them waves at me before heading over to the guys side.

one of his friends follows and then the one who was trying to be really friendly with me notices me. his face suddenly changes from a pretty straight face to a small smile as he makes his way over to me.

"hey awsten, how can I help you all out today?" I say in a monotone voice.

"hey you remember me! maisie right? we're just checking things out." he says to me while trying to look cool and lean on the counter thing.

keyword there, trying, he slips and stumbles before catching himself on the counter.

I start laughing and so does he but in an embarrassed type of way, his face bright red.

"smooth awsten, smooth." one of his friends calls out.

he flips him off and turns back to me "sorry..." he says.

"oh you're good." I respond and then focus my attention to the other lady in the store who is ready to check out.

I make small talk while checking her out and I thank her and she also thanks me for all the help before leaving, she was really kind.

"woah, you're really good with people." awsten says to me, still standing right by the registers.

"well I try I guess." I say back, once again monotone to try and show my disinterest.

he is starting to feel awkward and I don't really do anything to try and change the vibe.

"so what are you doing after work tonight?" he asks me, I assume trying to be slick.

"nothing." I say, I'm really not trying to keep a conversation.

"just leave her alone dude." one of the guys, I think geoff says, as the both come back up to awsten.

"oh hey, you're that one girl, chasing rain, yeah I remember you." he turns and says to me.

"hiya, yup that's me." I chuckle.

"we were looking into checking out those pictures you took of us." he says.

"yeah, my boyfriend was telling me about that." I respond finally breaking the news to awsten.

"well, okay?" Geoff started, "anyways we were messaging one of the guys about it and he said he'd get to you with more details about it."

right, they didn't know I was dating ace. shoot well it's all good and they still don't know and quite frankly it's not even their business but still it's my boyfriend's band's business.

"okay, I'll talk to the guys about it this week and get back to you, also this week, but I would love to do a shoot with you if you're interested." I say trying to hide my excitement because even though I'm not necessarily a fan of them I could be getting hired for a photo shoot.

"yeah, I know you're not a professional or anything, but we're not really looking for that, just someone who knows enough about what they are doing and gives back good quality images," he continues.

"yeah. so are you done, or?" I say hating to break the conversation now but I couldn't really stand around talking or planning something for to long.

"oh, shoot sorry." he responds and the other guy puts his things up on the counter.

awsten doesn't say another word to me but he does look back after they leave.

the rest of my night is uneventful and I am able to leave almost instantly after work and am actually in bed at a reasonable time with everything ready for the upcoming week.

"I have to be at practice on Wednesday and thankfully no work, and then we have a meeting to discuss business, plans, and future on Thursday, hmm lets make that early because I have work so we can just stay after school and do it in the library." I mutter to myself.

I'm updating my planner and am able to leave friday night free because the bands going into the city that night and ace wants me to come with, I think the other guys who have girlfriends are bringing them along as well because on saturday they're supposed to be filming a music video.

a busy enough week so that it's not boring but not so busy that it's overwhelming, I can work with this.

•••

on monday morning I feel slightly less motivated but after school I finally get to see ace again and everything is great, everything is perfect.