Chapter 6

They messed up my floor.  They better clean it up, and I want it spotless.  I am so pissed off today.  Why in the world am I so mad at allowing Hallie to go travel with her friends anyway?  Dennis is right.  I need to learn how to let go because I have to.  I can't just keep on holding on to Hallie.  She's bound to marry someone too in the future.  I don't want to be so clingy.

I have to forget about it.  I wonder what we will be having for lunch.  I scanned through my mental cookbook.

"Moooom! Where are the extra brooms?" Hallie shouted from upstairs.

"They're in the closet!"

"Okay, thanks!"

After scanning, I picked a nice meal for today.  I think we'll be having baked teriyaki chicken.  I preheated the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  

"Cornstarch, check. Cold water is ready. White sugar, check. Soy sauce is in the shelves. Cider vinegar is in the cupboard. Garlic, ground ginger and black pepper are in the basket. Lastly, chicken thighs are already thawed. Good thing. Okay, I'm all set. I hope this will be a success," I mumbled, hoping I'll do it right.  I have tried this already before, but I usually lack something.  This time, I want it to be perfect.

"Nice, a walking recipe book!" Someone slammed the back door and shouted from behind, which made me jump.

I turned around to see my only son standing in front of me, "Michael?"

"Duh? I'm the one and only Michael S. Price that you know and will love," Michael smiled like a rock star.

"Shut up. Why are you home early? Don't you have work?" I asked curiously since he usually comes home at around three.

"My boss is having a nice day and decided to dismiss us earlier today," he said then whispered, "I think he has a date with his girlfriend though. I never saw him that groomed before."

"That's nice. You're just in time for lunch."

"No, I don't think so. I even think that I'm a wee bit too early for it."

I glared at him.

"Woah, mom. I'm just kidding. No need to give me that kind of glare. Where did your sense of humor go, mom? Why do you have that creepy aura today anyway?" Michael fumbled through the small counter drawers and cabinets as he asked.  He grabbed the knives and played with them.

I chopped the garlic equally and said, "Michael, please put the knives down. You are not a child anymore. How many times do I have to tell you that those are not toys? Did you know that Hallie is going to Italy, Ireland and Japan next week?"

"Yes. Is she allowed to go?" He put the knives back to their peaceful state in the drawers and leaned on the counter.

"Yes."

"Hey! No fair! I should've planned a trip too!"

"Tell that to your dad, not me. It's his decision anyway."

"It's okay. I bear no complaints. I don't think she can get a decent job like mine anyway. I can always be in the amusement park with free passes, whole year round, even during winter. However, I sense a bitter or cold tone on that statement. How are you with dad's decision anyway?" He said as he checked his fingernails.  I just wish that his ADHD and prediction skills would wear out soon.  It's already driving me crazy.

"Oh, Michael. You sound like an adult lost in his childhood, and I have no comment on that," I glared at him.

"I know. I'm a child at heard, and I believe that you are lying about not having any comment," he smiled from ear to ear just to annoy me.

"Michael, please go away and help your sister and father clean up."

"Okay, but only after you tell me why you resent dad's decision."

"Fine. I don't trust Hallie going out by herself yet. That's it. I don't want her to go around the world with that Maureen girl. Maureen looks like those flirty sluts. Just don't tell Hallie about this. Now go," I pointed the knife I'm using at him.

"Woah, chill. I go help them. After they upstairs?" Michael raised his arms up.

"Yes."

"Okay," he skipped off.  It's nice to get rid of him at this time so that I could concentrate on my baked teriyaki chicken for now.  I just want to perfect this.

-Bea S. Price, 50 years old