Preview: Awakened

I woke up dazed and felt that every part of my body is painful.  It was already dark and is really freezing.  I looked around.  This definitely isn’t my home.  I don’t know where I am.  I can’t even remember how and why I got here.  I looked around again.  I am in a room that is like a rabbit hole.  It’s too cramped up because a queen-sized bed, which is where I found myself when I woke up, sat in the middle of the room, making it hard for me to move around.

I stood up, and my legs were really weak.  I traced my hand by the wall for support and used the moonlight to guide me through the dark.  I felt odd.  My clothes felt different.  I let my free hand feel my clothes.  It was obviously torn and worn out.  Who changed my clothes into this piece of shitty rag?  Also, where did my underwear go?  It felt drafty around my legs.  I am obviously just wearing an old ragged shirt.  Oh, I better not think about it, but I did.  I traced back my steps and looked at the large bed.  There are splatters of blood all over.  To my horror, I covered my face and stifled my scream.  The person who did this… Oh my God, this person is going to pay for everything.  Please don’t tell me that this fucking person stole my virginity.

Finally, I moved on and approached the door that is standing in front of the bed.  I slowly turned the knob.  Shit, It’s locked.  Oh no, don’t tell me…

Images suddenly came back, rushing in my head.

I was with Mavis in a nice afternoon.  We were running through the park and playing with the swings.  I told mom that I would just be nearby, but I kind of bargained with that.  We slipped through the mini forest and found this small shattered shack.  The windows were cracked and slightly shattered, but the front door was locked.  We chipped the remaining glass that was left off and went in the window.  We found tons of pictures, pictures of different faces of people inside.  There were a few worn out doors around this room, but the one that caught my eye was the desk.

“Hey, Mavis. Take a look at this.”  I called Mavis as I approached the desk.  There were blueprints of equipment all over the table.  I don’t know what these are for though.

"Lara, we need to get out of here. It’s dangerous here. We don’t want to get caught.”  Mavis pulled the edge of my shirt.  Panic was rising in his voice already.

"Wait. Don’t tell me you’re scared.”  I looked at the wall that was filled with pictures.

“Lara, can’t you see it? Those blueprints are for killing people, and those pictures?  Those are ones that the person plans to kill, and those on the other side are the ones that the person already killed.

“Mavis, how can your imaginations run like that?”

"I’m older than you by a year, and I know where the danger is and lurks. Let’s go.”

"Fine,” I pouted.  It’s really annoying when Mavis has the authority.

"Too late kids. Lara, you should’ve listened to Mavis.”  A large muscular man with hoodies smirked with his arms crossed.  He placed his chainsaw on the floor and started to approach us.

“Lara, run.”  Mavis whispered.

"I can’t leave you here!”  I whispered back.

"Lara, just run. Tell the others about this shack. The police will find me.”

"I can’t.”

"Of course you can’t make a run. I brought a friend here.”  Something growled behind the man, and it was a Rottweiler.  How can I even outrun this dog?  Mavis held my hand tightly, “Lara, please remember this. I love you.”

"Mavis, I love you too. I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you.”  I hugged him really tightly.

"Oh kids, you have too much drama.”  The man rolled his eyes.

"Mister, what are you going to do with us? We’re just useless kids who are a nuisance.”  Mavis said.

"You are a wise kid. I would have let you two go if you didn’t find out what those are for. However, you did, and I have plans now.”  The man smirked.  He swung his arms and everything went pitch black.

“Mavis! Mavis! Where are you?”  I shouted, and I noticed that my shoes were also gone.  My hands were bloody too.  I heard someone groaned from the other side.

“Mavis?”

“Lara! Where are we?”  I felt Mavis jump up.

“I don’t know. Could it be the shattered shack?”

"It can’t be. The shack is too small for two rooms.”

"Mavis, I’m so sorry. I should’ve listened to you! What will happen to us? This is all my fault!”  I cried.

"Lara, don’t cry. This isn’t your fault. You didn’t know what was going to happen anyway. It’s okay. I won’t let them hurt you. I’ll find a way to get us out of here.”  I wonder how Mavis instantly became so matured.

I looked around and saw nothing but dusty furniture.  My stomach started to grumble.  What happened to my mom?  My dad?  Will they look for me?  Are they worried?  I slammed the door hard and my ankle was shot with pain.  Someone placed an electronic anklet around my ankle.  Our moves are all monitored.

"Mavis! Urg… Our moves are all monitored.”  I warned him.

"I know, I just found out! Find the hidden cameras in your room!”

“I’m trying!”

“Lara, keep calm.”

"How can I? Our parents might be worried! Wait, how long have we been here?”

"That… I don’t know.”

- Lara Hills, 6 years old