Day 29, Part 2: Dancing in Fire

His breath hitched as he caught the hint of smoke. Alarmed, he sat up in his bunk and loomed over the edge to examine the small pasta. His blonde hair covered his red eyes as he lay resting.
Careful not to disturb him, Jeff sat up and ran down the hall to Masky and Hoodie's room. Clothes were thrown on the floor but nobody was in sight. He raced over to the far corner of the hallway and stared at the door handle. Dry blood adorned the once antique doorknob as he turned it. "Tob-" His face fell as he understood the density of the situation. An empty box of matches lay on the floor next to an empty bottle of Vodka. Rags littered the floor, some stained with blood and others with alcohol. His hand became cold as he clutched the doorknob, hoping it was a nightmare. "SLENDER!"

Tears ran down his exposed face as the smoke burned his eyes. Hoodie threw down his mask and held it over Toby's face. Toby let out loud gasps as he tried to escape Hoodie's arms. In a quick motion, both Toby and Hoodie were on the ground. Toby's hand traced a line in the dirt as he stared up at the sky, which shrunk and was soon just a mix of red and orange. He felt the heat on his face as he reached over to grab Hoodie.

Sally looked up in fear at Jack as he pushed her down a set of stairs she had only seen once. He put his hands on her face and wiped her tears, whispering encouraging words. "E.J, we need to hurry!" He pushed his mask back onto his face and handed Sally a small yet sharp pocket knife. She wearily nodded in compliance. He nudged her down the stairs a bit and shut the door. Left with only herself and BEN, she knew she had to be strong.

"HOODIE, TOBY!" Masky cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted again. His voice cracked and became weary as he inhaled the smoke. Then, he saw it. A helicopter flying through the air with news reporters. Without any hesitation, he sprinted into the flames. It was hard to see. He saw three figures in the distance, two lie on the ground. A third stared back at him in disbelief, then turned around to grab a gun. He ran over towards them, soon recognizing the three as Jane, Hoodie, and Toby. "Jane, I can carry Hoodie if you ca-" "Stop, you, right there. Hands in the air." Masky turned his head and stared at what he presumed were cops. They had masks on and wore heavy clothing. There were murmurs as Jane moved hair out of her face. "Why is she so white?" "Look at her skin..." "Isn't that the girl who was burned by that one boy?" Masky stood still as he was told, and slowly raised his hands. He looked over at Jane. She still had the gun pointed at the cops. She narrowed her eyes and turned the safety off. "This is private property. You need to leave." There was a mixture of murmurings and slight laughter that came from the policemen as she said this. A policeman stepped forward and raised a gun to Jane. "Honey, you can't te- holy shit!" Masky looked over at Toby as he stood up. He had hidden his hatchet in a nearby bush. "L-leave now, and nobody h-has to g-get hurt." The cop walked towards him and pointed at the hatchet. "And what if we don't? What are you gonna do? Hack us to deathh.." The police officer looked down at his chest as he fell to the ground. Behind him, was Hoodie. "F...Fire..." before any of the policemen could grab their weapons, both Jane and Hoodie shot. Masky grabbed Toby and held him back. "Toby, you're too weak right now." Toby looked up at Masky leaned in to give him a kiss. "I... I l-love you." "Ah, fuck!" Hoodie fell down, his left arm fell limp at his side. He kept shooting, but his aim slowly got worse. Masky grabbed Toby's hatchet and pushed Toby in the direction of the mansion. "Go!" Toby's eyes filled with tears, and he started to run, but then he just stopped. He looked down and fell over. Masky watched his young lover lie in the dirt as his eyes filled with tears. He turned around and crawled towards Masky, only to be shot again. His hand fell and he closed his eyes. The back of his shirt grew more and more red. His skin became pale, and his whole body shook as he took trembling breaths. "Masky, snap out of it!" He was hunched over, staring at the almost lifeless figure that was once so energetic. He heard loud footsteps and winced as a shot flew by his ear. "Masky, please! We need each other now!" With all the strength he had, Masky swung the hatchet at the remaining policemen. Jane rushed over to help Hoodie as Masky practically decapitated a police officer. The last live policeman stood in fear, his gun pointed at Jane. "If you hurt me... I-I'll shoot!" Masky walked towards him and laughed. "What makes you think we'd hurt ya'? Come on man. We aren't evil." The man laughed uncomfortably as Masky put his arm around him. Jane watched the older man in fear. "What's... happening?" Jane shook her head and positioned herself to cover Hoodie's view. She ripped her shirt and wrapped Hoodie's arm, not daring to look behind her. "Jane?.." Masky dropped the hatchet and sighed. "Hey, what ever happened to dying for your country?" The policeman looked over at him in fear. "What do yo-" Masky twisted his head until he heard a loud crack, and dropped the lifeless body. He stood over the dead body for a minute. His breaths grew raspy as he stumbled over to help Hoodie up. "Guys, I'm fine, go check on Toby." Hoodie could barely finish his sentence without wheezing. Masky ran over to Toby and slid to the ground. Jane stared at Masky as she neared the boy. "I can't do anything right now. It doesn't look like it hit anything major but I wouldn't be able to tell. The bullet went at an angle, and it's still in there." "Can we carry him back?" Jane lifted Toby up and cradled him. She looked at Masky as she handed Toby over. "You can. I need to stay out here in case more come." Hoodie coughed and wiped his face. "I'll get.. I'll get Jeff." Masky stopped and looked at Toby's chest. "There was another shot." Jane and Hoodie looked over at Masky. "What?" "He... he was shot twice. I saw it. He was crawling towards me and he got shot." "I can't see anything." Hoodie stood a few feet away, trying to catch his breath. "Guys... his head." Jane felt around. "I feel it." Blood covered her hand when she pulled away. "Listen, get back to the mansion. Anne should have pliers, or something." She pushed Masky towards the mansion. "As the others left, she ripped off another piece of her shirt and put it over her face. Masky turned around one last time and nodded and nodded at Jane. "Thank you..."

----------------------------------------------------
Definitely not the best chapter I've written, but I hope you all enjoyed. Thank you all for the continued support. It really means something to me to hear all of your caring words. I'll get working on the next chapter soon, and if needed, I will be doing edits. Thank you again!