Fink | III

PART
I

Sunlight began to fill the sky with pure scattered light; its hue ambitiously illuminating each crevice of the land. Sparrows yet didn't chirp their morning canticles, so the trees took the transient opportunity to enjoy the golden crowns that the arising sun gifted. But the growing grandeur of the village's forest would eventually disrupt when Adrian stepped on the slender woody shoots that laid across the graveyard of brown and yellow leaves.

Flora gave her a whimper of annoyance as a consequence of, proceeding to cross her arms. With their significant height difference and the undeniable truth that Adrian really didn't care about her existence made her complain entirely inconsequential. Yet, she did cause her to shake her head and wear some sort of a wicked grin.

"Don't act like I can't see that," said Flora, referring to her uncomfortable smile.

The young adult shrugged her shoulders, the metal plates upon them giving off somewhat of an intimidating look. However, with her scale armor—now a sombre color thanks to years of usage, deluge and sunlight—dark brown sleeves and wrist-length gauntlets, she was, rather, breathtaking. A woman dressed in male attire was something incredibly rare; powerful, even. But it wasn't like Adrian was a lass to revere. She had too little of feminine morals to begin with, and with her broad and muscular body, she was able to prompt any matron to leave their husbands in exchange of her hand. Well, if they were fooled enough.

          Flora finally suppressed a laugh by pursing her lips, eyeing Adrian's greasy and dark brown hair. It was clear that the young adult didn't really pay attention to her hygiene, but it wasn't like she stunk as bad as a skunk. In the contrary, it was something like a tolerable scent of sweat and burnt metal. Flora couldn't blame her, nevertheless. Adrian's livelihood seemed nonstop.

          "Hey," the smaller girl then called, trotting her way closer to Adrian's taller figure. "You haven't slept at all, haven't you?"

          And again: Adrian replied with an inattentive shrug of her shoulders. She wasn't up to chit-chatting with the breathing creature that was beside her. In a way, Adrian was disappointed of how she's been handling the situations presented before her, so her vapid mind was currently obstructive; with an ocean of heavy thoughts that would eventually help her get rid of Flora and, at the same time, receive that mysterious treasure she had promised her.

The small one glared, but she nevertheless continued with the small talk, mumbling: "I hardly slept... My mind's everywhere. Having this constant feeling of fear—of uneasiness; it just isn't fun."

          Of course did Adrian understand this struggle. She was not born able to cope with every threat. She had to force herself to do so and, somehow, she successfully got rid of many benevolent traits. So, in some way, she could be considered like a monster. But, in reality, weren't monsters really human? She sighed in devastation.

"I know it isn't," spoke Adrian, finally. She owned a clear and smooth voice, considering she hadn't opened her mouth even before meeting up with Flora at the site they had agreed on.

          Baffled, Flora covered her cheeks in her hands; furrowing her brows as she let her gaze go above her crown, meeting up with Adrian's risqué gander that hovered above herself. The girl found herself heating up, but she made sure not to let the sexually suggestive look faze her bratty attitude, so in return, she scoffed in belittle.