27

It wasn't long, however, before things started to break down again. With the imminent threat of Zarkon looming over them, everyone on the team was tense. The fact that he hadn't recently attacked them also made them suspicious and a little scared.

With terror came Shiro's levelheaded resolution, to make the entire team feel better. "We should practice. Being more practiced will make us more confident in our abilities and prepared for Zarkon's next attack. I suggest a scrimmage."

Lance raised his hand. "Given this isn't basketball, I don't exactly know what that's supposed to mean."

Shiro hadn't had another problem with his mind since the day of the attack, and everything seemed like it was going to be okay. Even Lance was insistent that he was feeling better every day.

"Like teams." Shiro explained. "No one's really trying to injure one another, I'll have a setting so we can't. It'll be more of a point system."

Keith raised his hand now. "Given there's only 5 of us, how does this work?"

Lance and Keith were holding hands, Keith's head resting on Lance's shoulder.

"Well, team captains are Allura and I, so we'll actually have 6." He corrected. "Everyone, to your lions."

Lance and Keith both stood slowly then dropped each other's hands and went to suit up. Lance coughed weakly then wiped a bit of blood from his lip. From then on, he was all smiles, trying not to show he was weak.

They got out and their teams were picked: Shiro, Keith, and Lance verses Allura, Pidge, and Hunk. "We're gonna kick your asses." Lance informed the other team.

"I'd like to see you try!" Pidge retorted.

Hunk added a, "yeah! What she said!" Which was very helpful.

A bell went off and the scrimmage began. It was mostly fun for the paladins, lasers that varied in colour piercing through the darkness, their only other illumination being the distant stars. Take-that's echoing through the comms. It was about tied when they came across a meteor belt, which upped the stakes a little bit.

The meteor belt gave them a place to hide, and gave Hunk another weapon. But, it also put Keith at an advantage. He could easily pilot through the belt without missing a beat, while the others were a bit slower.

Keith was turning around a meteor and coming up behind the castle. He shot it three consecutive times, taking their team to the top, with only 1 point left to go. "You get 'em babe!" Lance called out encouragements to the Red Paladin. Damn, was he hot when he was badass.

They hadn't stared dating officially, but had still taken up calling each other affectionate pet names. Babe and Mullet were top two. But Keith sometimes called Lance asshat or Love.

Keith grinned at the comment and in his distraction managed to get hit by Pidge. He quickly pulled away and landed back on base meteor.

"Okay, what's your plan for last point?" Shiro asked.

"I'm thinking Shiro goes in all large and in charge right? Then Keith comes from behind to fake them out." Luckily the meteors had certain properties that allowed radio signals to be distorted for all of those who were not on them. "And just when they think they've caught on to Keith's sneaking in plan, bada bing bada boom, hasta la bye bye." Lance said, rubbing his hands together.

"Sounds like a good plan, though I didn't really understand the last part." Keith could be very clueless.

"I'll come around the front while they're distracted by the you and Shiro and- shit." The battle ended as the red, blue, and black lions were all struck by blasts from the other team.