15

House of the Rising Sun ~The Animals
"What? No. Nope. Not happening. I'd rather anyone who has a problem with you leave than you leave. You're not leaving, sorry." Lance shook his head and blocked the way to the door.

Matt raised his hand. "I'm guessing that means I can't leave either?"

"And just where do you think you're going?" Pidge turned to him looking infuriated.

"To find dad." He put his hand down and glanced over her. She'd grown up quite a bit since he'd last seen her, but right now he was just holding her back. She'd become so much more than he could ever imagine. Shiro too.

"Not without me you're not." She crossed her arms.

He kept his gaze on her seeming rather tired. "Katie, you've made something of yourself here. I have no place in this team. I can't just stay here when I know he could still be out there. They need you. Let me go."

Pidge visibly deflated. She nodded and tears streaked down her face. He pulled her into a hug and held her for a moment. He then let go and left the room. Pidge stalled for a moment then followed him out, heading the opposite direction.

Keith had been mulling over what to say. How was he supposed to prove to Lance that he should leave? "I'll harm the dynamic of the team. They won't even be able to look at me."

"I can, Keith. It shouldn't matter what your DNA code reads. You are just as pivotal to this team as anyone else." He crouched by Keith's bed, looking up at him. Not even a glimmer of hate could be found in those deep blue eyes. Yet they did hold fear. Not because of what Keith had become, but because he might leave because of it.

Keith felt butterflies awakening in his stomach, fluttery and hyper. Why did Lance care so much?

"Just consider the repercussions. Red is very stubborn. She will find you." He stood slowly and stretched a little then walked over to the wall and leaned against it.

"We should tell the others." He was filled with a certain want to stay now, mostly because Lance was leaning against his wall with lack of sleep and worry weighing down down his face. His hair was messy and a 5 o'clock shadow had bloomed on his chin and cheeks. He'd never looked more perfect in his life. "We should probably just get it- Shiro."

Shiro had entered silently and was standing in the doorway, inspecting Keith stoically. "Keith." He acknowledged the statement of his name. He stood stiff, with his hands in his pockets.

Lance, Matt, and Shiro all had every right to be terrified of the way he looked, having all been captors of the Galra. Shiro more than most. He'd seen so many horrors at the hands of the Galra. Yet Shiro found it much harder to look at Lance than to watch Keith. He wasn't scared of the Galra. He was afraid of the face that he saw every day when he looked in the mirror. That maybe he could become what he'd been created to be.

Lance's eyes held the same horrors, his face was the same face Shiro saw in every window or other reflective surface. One that he hated so much he tried his hardest to avoid it. Still, Lance stood there wearing it, but adding a new accent, a tired grin.

Keith sat there in the silence almost trembling. Say something, anything. Break this intolerable, painful silence.

"That's an odd fashion statement." He tried to lighten the mood. Lance seemed calm, but he could tell Keith was tense. His yellow eyes were focused on Shiro, his hands gripping the bed waiting for something, anything to happen, full fight or flight.

The moment Shiro spoke, every ounce of tension melted from him. Of course Shiro wouldn't care. Shiro never judged a person based on appearance, especially when he'd known Keith for as long as he had.