Chapter 18 ~ Nervous

"The worst distance between people is misunderstanding." ~Unknown

~~~~~~

Lindsey's POV:

As the school day came to a close, I walked to the spot where Karra, Leia, and I all meet after school. Jake had offered to take me home, but I told him Karra would bring me.

As I waited for my friends to arrive, I decided to pull out my phone, just to scroll aimlessly through a countless amount of social media apps. When I swung my backpack forward to grab my phone, I accidentally hit someone behind me with it.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!" I said while turning around.

As I turned, I came face to face with Chey Mailey and her 'friends' that followed her every move.

"So you're the girl that stole Jake from me." she said.

"From what I heard, you guys broke up." I responded.

"Well, I don't think it's a good idea to hang out with him. Because he'll come crawling back to me anytime now." she said, sass evident in her voice.

I turned away to stop the aggravating conversation I just got myself into.

I saw my friends walking towards me.

"Why were you talking to Chey?" Leia asked.

"I accidentally bumped her with my bag. So, when I turned around to say sorry, it was her." I explained.

"Is that all you guys talked about?" Karra questioned.

"No, she said to stay away from Jake, because I 'stole him' from her." I added.

"What the heck! They broke up like three months ago." she said to me.

"Don't listen to her, she may be all bark and no bite." Leia added.

"Okay." I said in response to both of them.

"So, are you ready to go home?" Karra asked.

"Yup, let's go." I said in response. We said bye to Leia and then walked to her car.

"So, how excited are you that Jake is your boyfriend?!" Karra asked me.

"I'm excited and nervous." I said in response.

"But why?" Karra said.

"My dad said he has to meet Jake before we can actually be boyfriend and girlfriend."

"Wait, how did he know Jake was going to ask you?" she questioned.

"I don't know, he's just really good at observing things." I said.

"Well, it should be fine." she said to me.

"But what if he doesn't like him?"

"Jake is nice, he gets good grades, and he's athletic. What else could your dad ask for?" Karra stated.

I nodded my head in agreement and we both danced to music for the rest of the car ride.

As I got out of the car, when I caught a glimpse of my dad's car, chills ran up my spine. Sure, I love my dad and he's super nice, but when it comes to me dating, he cracks down on the boy hard. Especially after what happened with Matt.

I unlocked the door and stepped into my house. My dad was sitting on the couch.

"Hey hon, how was school?" he asked while watching basketball on TV.