Zerkstar- Red string (Soulmate AU)

A/N - Thak you for all your support. In one day, I got from 0 votes to 12. I never really expected people to read this, let alone like it. It really means a lot. Hope you enjoy this :) 

Warnings - swearing, I've changed the ages to suit this story - you'll see when you get  there (does that need to be a warning), age gap 

(Josh's P.O.V)

Soulmates...are they really true? 

A soulmate is when the person you are destined to have the closest bond to will have a red string attached to their pinky finger, linking with yours. That spring is supposed to be the red sorting of fate. You will be able to identify this person when you touch them for the first time. Your head will feel a sudden spike of pain. That's the fated encounter of a soulmate. There are a few people in the world however who can see red strings from birth, and they tell you that the strings actually formed from birth but they do not fully form or have effect till you're 18. So you may have been childhood friends with your soulmate. 

I've always doubted their existence since the beginnings - but for different reasons. When I was younger, the idea seemed odd like how ghosts are believed to exists, but how can anyone prove it. Plus it makes no sense in reality. But when I've witness other people meeting their soulmate and touch for the first time, then I more had disbelief in my soulmate existence. I'm 25, finished uni, grown a beard and work in a bookstore as the manager because the actual owner is always out and this store is jam packed with students. You would think by now, that I would also meet my soulmate. But no this old geezer would probably end off all alone.

I've never let it bother me, I mean I still have friends who care about me, plus all the students who visit seem to like me as well. So I can't say that I'll be truly lonely, it's just that deep down, I still want to meet them. Well, I'm always working here anyways so I guess there's no need to panic. I sometimes manage the books, but on most occasions, I spend time on the shop floor. 

I was just spending time placing the must reads on display when I feel a hand touch my shoulder. I look back and see Vik beeming behind me. Vik is a 17-year-old boy, who is academically brilliant, and it shows in his 3 A* for his A levels (that's the highest grade for a college equivariant for all you Americans). The kid spends most of his time here ever since he was 12, which is when I first met him still the manager even at twenty at my second year of Uni, being our youngest customer since I've been around. As such, we grew close and became good friends, though I don't know why he wants to be friends with a dude that's 8 years older than him. None the less, I'm glad that he's my friend. I've grown quite fond of Vik. He was smart, funny, adorable and always finds a way in making me smile, practically effortlessly.

But the kid has already met his soulmate even though he's not of age yet. This is because he's one of the few that can see strings. He normally wears glasses in places like school or here when he doesn't want to be distracted by string, but apparently one day, he wanted to meet his friend and forgot to wear his glasses, and there he saw it, on his friend. He said he didn't want to ruin the first encounter shock for his friend so he has no clue. He will just touch that person on his birthday which is tomorrow! 

"Vik do you have plans tomorrow. I know it's your birthday, but I wanted to give you a present for your 18th and I didn't know if I can leave the store, I can just give it to you after I close up the store at 5 but I kind of want to give it to you earlier." I informed

"Josh it's fine to give it to me at my birthday party." Vik beamed

"Wait I'm invited?" I asked shocked

"Why wouldn't you be. I want everyone to come. After all, it will be the day when I can finally tell my soulmate who I am and what I've always wanted to say to them anyways even if they weren't my soulmate." Vik replied innocently