34 - Finally

Crowds of people were moving back through the city, gaping at the amount of damage everyone's individual homes or store took.

Some people looked sad. Some looked relieved. Some were groaning in exasperation, thinking of all the work they were going to have to do in order to restore the City.

Luckily, most of the buildings that were severely damaged were just along the boardwalk, not the neighborhoods behind it. Though, the alien earthquake-like waves through the ground had shaken the foundations of everything, and many families returned home to find their dishes or delicate possessions broken on the floor.

"Don't worry, citizens!" Mayor Dewey announced from the top of his campaign van. "The Crystal Gems will be assisting with the clean-up, so the project of cleaning up the town should be done with in about two weeks!" The Mayor spotted the entirely demolished building. "... well, most of it."

Despite the somewhat solemn, weary, and nervous mood hanging in the air, the Crystal Gems were happy. They had driven Homeworld away.

Successfully, the gems had tricked Homeworld into thinking they were dead, so they shouldn't be getting any more trouble from the sky any time soon, either.

The bustle of the large numbers of people streaming back into the city was difficult to get through. It was as busy as a popular oceanside city might be in the summertime.

The Crystal Gems were already helping a numerous amount of other volunteers to clean of pieces of crumbled building. Garnet easily went to work, along with Lapis, Peridot, who could move large metal beams or garbage with a clap of her hands. Lapis, meanwhile, scooped up huge chunks of broken buildings, depositing them on the large pile of wreckage growing higher on one end of the long boardwalk.

Lapis and Peridot felt slightly out of place on the boardwalk. They hadn't really gone out in the public before, and some of the humans were eyeing them curiously.

Oh well, the two gems thought. The town would have to get used to them eventually.

While the Crystal Gems were helping with the cleaning up, Steven helped with the humans. He joined a group consisting of Peedee, Jenny, Sour Cream, Kiki, Lars, and Sadie, who were directing people to a place for them to stay over the next few nights that hadn't been so damaged.

They were all spread out, finding confused residents and giving them instructions.

As Steven was walking through the crowds, looking for anyone who needed help, someone was looking for him.

Greg Universe was pushing through the crowds. He was in bad shape. He looked as if he hadn't gotten much sleep since everyone had abandoned the city, and he seemed down constantly.

Even Greg's van was a mess, (but then again, when was it not?)

Steven father was looking, more specifically, for the Crystal Gems. He was hoping against hope that they'd have good news.

But as the sunburnt man was taking a moment to scan the crowd for the alien guardians of the earth, he spotted a familiar face. His son, completely fine looking and occupied with helping people, was standing on the beach.

Greg did a double-take. Was his son actually there, or was he just imagining it? Maybe it was someone who looked like Steven... but no. His son was unmistakable. He wore his signature red star T-shirt, and jeans, and flip-flops. His hair was as curly and dark as ever, his eyes as spritely and bright as Greg remembered. Steven truly was there.

The last time Greg Universe had seen his son, was just his son's gem. After the evacuation, the father was up every night, all night, just wondering what had become of his only child.