Chapter 30

I've been driving about for about almost an hour now, and this is the moment that my phone starts to ring. I indicate and pull up at the side of the road, putting the hazard warning lights on before reaching into my jeans pocket and pulling my phone out. I look down at the caller ID:

          'Unknown'

“Hello?” I answer.

“Well it didn’t take you long to split from lover boy did it?” Ryan's cheery voice says.

“Ryan, what have you done with my daughters?”

“Listen to me now or you’ll never get your daughters back.” I swallow hard.  “The car that’s pulled up a few feet behind you, will follow you so don’t try and trick them. They will report back to me if you do.”

“Okay,” I say as I look at the car that’s now parked up behind me.

“I want you to drive to the following address…” I sit and listen to the address he’s giving me as I type it into the sat nav. “I’ll see you soon and don’t be late!”

I end the call and turn my hazard warning lights off. I pull away back onto the road as the sat nav begins to give me directions. I look in the interior mirror and the car starts to follow me.

I drive for a further 20 minutes before the sat nav tells me that I’ve reached my final destination. I look aound and see no buildings, just acres and acres of open fields. I drop the speed of the car and see that the road is coming to a dead end. I look round for a turning to turn and notice a road opening on the left before the main road stops.

I look behind and notice that the car that was following me, is now nowhere to be seen. I turn into the muddy road and drop the speed down even more so I’m only going just under 10mph. I keep looking around me and at the fields to see if I can see anything or anyone.

As I drive along the road, I notice it gets wider and also comes to a dead end. I look for more turnings but there’s none.

I turn my car to the left and park up so I can get away easily if I have to. I turn the engine off and undo my seatbelt before slowly getting out the car. I lock the car and stand at the front of it, looking round the open fields but I know it's pointless when I can’t see anyone or anything.

I sigh before hearing a car come up from the road I was just on. I look at it as it drives past me and stops at the other side of the road. I stand up straight as the driver door opens and Ryan gets out. He walks to the back of the car and looks at me.

“Long time since I’ve seen you,” he smirks.

“Cut it and give me my daughters!” I say through gritted teeth.

“See, that’s the thing…I don’t have them. Not anymore anyway.”

I feel my anger build up inside as he walks towards me. “What have you done with them?”

He stops a few feet in front of me and puts his hands in his jeans pockets. “I gave them away. You know, it’s amazing how much money you can get for them since they are the children of a well-known footballer.”

“What?”

“Oh, don’t worry. It was all legit. Got £690k for them as a pair.”

“You sold my babies for money? Why?”

He stays silent for a moment before starting to laugh.

“Oh my god, you really are thick! Is that what sleeping with a footballer does to you? Why would I sell them when I can just bleed blondie dry? Use your brain!”

“You’re a sick and twisted man.”

“That may be, but at least I’m not stupid. Now, if you want to see them, follow me…or are you scared?”

I shake my head, watch him turn and start to walk towards one of the fields. I look back at the road and follow him. What’s he going to do?