Chapter 1

It is a nice afternoon.  Mother Earth is breathing silently, creating soft winds around the place.  The squirrels were quietly collecting their share from the insides of the mini forest.  Everything was peaceful, almost perfect.  However, there was a little argument in the mansion of the Prices.

“Please. Come on, mom. Just let me go. You can’t just lock me in here forever. I’m a free child. I deserve to use my rights since I have been doing my duties all these years. I just can’t understand why you loathe the idea of me traveling alone with my friends,” I gritted my teeth.

“Hallie Price, do not talk to me like that or I will ground you and eliminate my option on possibly allowing you to go, and when I say ‘I don't know’, I mean it literally. You can’t squeeze out any reasons from me because I have none. I know that you are responsible enough to take care of yourself, but you have to ask your father about it. I just can’t imagine teenagers running around like they’ve been locked up in one place for more than a decade. Now, please. Excuse me,” my mother glared at me like I am a poison that she just swallowed.

“No. Mom, listen to me. I'm already 18, and my friends are allowed to go already. It’s good to know that you believe that I am responsible enough, and I will make sure that I really am responsible. You wouldn’t know if I’m capable of traveling without adult supervision if you wouldn’t allow me anyway,” I pushed.

“I said, ask your father, but where did you say you guys are going again?”

“Japan, Italy and Ireland.”

“Who chose those places? They’re all far from each other. How can you go to all three place in just one period of time?”

“Mostly Maureen, but we all agreed. We have a plan for it. This trip is all about adventure. We will discover the different cultures and sceneries that they have,” I explained.

“Maureen, she’s the girl who stayed the other night and ran around the house with a toothbrush sticking out her mouth, right?”

“Yes. She’s the one,” I answered, trying to resist myself from laughing out loud.

“I don't know. Please, just go ask your dad about it. I don’t trust Europe, Europeans and neither their volcanoes. Remember the terrible eruption? There’s a chance that it’ll happen to you guys.”  Why does my mother keep on giving me stupid reasons?  Why can’t me trust me like she trusted my siblings before?

“Okay, fine. I’ll ask him. I’m sure what happened in Iceland wouldn’t happen to us all right? You’re just being too paranoid,” I sighed heavily.  I can't believe I have to keep on asking.  It seems like my parents just kept on passing the question to each other.

I trotted towards the den.  It is located in the edges of our house.  I watched my feet shuffle while I approach the den.  I turned right to face the wooden door and raise my fist to knock three times.

“Come in,” a muffled sound escaped through the gap between the edge of the door and the floor.  I opened the door a little first and poked my head inside, “Hi dad. Can I have a moment?”

“Oh, sure. Come in, I say,” my dad adjusted his reading glasses as he looked at me with his sweet smile while I entered the room.  He took a sip from his cup of café Americano and set his morning newspaper down.  I glanced at the paper.

THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE DECIDED TO RESIGN AFTER EXPERIENCING THE MOST SHAMEFUL TIME OF HIS LIFE

That is the headline for today.  I grabbed the office chair that’s sitting in front of his desk and decided to start asking, “Dad, you know about the travel stuff that we planned, right?”

“Yes. Actually, I was planning to tell you about that later. I can't believe that I’m saying this, but I am allowing you to go. However, there are inevitably some exceptions.”

“What are they?”  My face lit up.

“They are just simple ones actually. Promise me to keep yourself safe. I don’t want to lose you, especially during the time when I’m not there. It would make me feel like I didn’t complete my duty of being a protective father. Never ever trust anyone, especially boys. I’m not being sexist. I’m a guy who is telling you to avoid guys because I know how guys think and act, and it’s not nice. Lastly, don’t forget to bring home souvenirs and food,” he laughed.  I can see how his nose crinkles when he does that.

“Of course dad! I promise,” I stood and hugged him really tight.  He just giggled, giving a hint of his minty breath.

- Hallie Price, 18 years old