CHAPTER 11

Auston: hey can you answer your phone

Me: don't wanna

Me: wow you finally texted me

Auston: it's been one day...... i wanted to give you space because i figured that's what you wanted

Me: you don't know what i want

Auston: jesus christ

My phone rang again, and I groaned loudly, sitting up.

"Anna's trying to sleep, Auston, so make it quick." I hiss into the speaker, glancing at Anna. It was midnight now, but it'd only be 11 in Winnipeg where he was.

"Don't be mad at me, Nat." he sighed. I didn't answer. "I care about you a lot and you're my friend and I screw things up, I know, but please don't be mad."

I can't help but smile. "Thank you. That means a lot." I say.

"Aw! Auston's going soft!" I hear someone shout on his end, and I can't help but laugh.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"Will." he says, and I nod, still getting used to Auston's new teammates.

"So... are we good?" Auston asks.

"Yeah. Of course. Sorry for being a bitch." I say.

"That's all it took? Really?" he asked, surprised.

"Auston, we've been friends for so long, it'd be dumb of me to fight you over something as small as this." I explain.

"Okay. Good." he says, and I can hear the smile in his voice. "So, um... I got you a plane ticket for Friday after class to fly to Chicago. And I got you a ticket for the game." he says.

I gasp, covering my mouth. "Are you serious?!" I do my best whisper-shout in an attempt to keep Anna asleep.

"Why would I lie?" I hear him chuckle. "You can only come if you wear my jersey, though." he says.

"Of course." I smile.

"Don't tell Mitch, though, we're gonna surprise him."

"Okay," I giggle, just imagining the look on his face when he sees me in Chicago. "Thanks Auston. I owe you."

"You do." he agrees, and I wish I was in Chicago right now with him so I could hug him.

"I'm gonna go, I need some sleep." I say, subconsciously yawning. "Good luck tomorrow."

"Bye, Nat. Love you." he says, hanging up.

——

I took my seat on the plane, shaking my head in disbelief. Auston had gotten me a first class ticket. He was truly wonderful.

I started getting comfortable, tucking my bag under my seat. I plugged in my earbuds to listen to music, scrolling through my phone when it began to ring. Mitch was calling.

My eyes widened as I tried to answer the phone, acting natural. "Hey, what's up?" I said.

"Hey, Nat. Just wanted to talk." I could almost hear the smile in his voice.

"Oh." I say, sighing. In any other circumstance I would love talking to him, just not now, when I was trying to hide something from him. "So, what are you doing?"

"We just landed in Chicago." he explains, and my eyes widened. "Nat, I'm really sorry about Auston. I really wanted you coming to the game."