CHAPTER 6

The Leafs season had started, and with it came the start of school. I hadn't wanted people at school knowing about my friendship with Auston, but Anna might've let it slip to someone on our floor. Guys had been approaching me with questions, but I turned them down, not wanting to get intertwined in it all.

Auston had played awesome at the World Cup of Hockey, which was so fun to see. It was amazing to see the fans in Toronto adoring him already. He had looked so happy.

The Leafs were on the road at their preseason games, which I watched on television. I had the Leafs' schedule pinned on my wall so I could keep up with every game. I enjoyed watching them, even though other fans apparently complained about their play.

Before their first game against the Ottawa Senators, someone named Owen had knocked on the door to my room.

"Yes?" I had said, opening the door.

"You're Natalie, right?" he had asked. I knew his name only because Anna liked him.

"Yep. What's up?" I asked. I noticed he was holding something behind his arms.

"What do ya think?" he asked, grinning. He brought his hands to the front, and I finally saw what he was holding. He had straightened it out and held it up and I took a good look at the Matthews jersey in front of me.

"Nice jersey, huh?" he smiled.

"You have a jersey for the guy who hasn't played a regular season game yet?" I asked.

"Everyone does! You're the girl who's friends with him, right?" he asked.

"Yep." I simply replied.

"Do you think you can get him to sign my jersey?" he said, raising his eyebrows.

"Um, have a nice day." I had answered, closing the door. It might've been rude, but people had been coming up to me like that for weeks. I had been nice at first, then quickly got annoyed.

On the day of the Leafs' first game of the season, I was ready. Sitting on my bed, popcorn in hand, jersey on my back. Then the game started.

To say the game left me completely speechless was an understatement. It was a huge surprise, but it was a good one at that. Like, a really good one. Like, Auston scoring 4 goals in his NHL debut good.

I was happy with the first goal, but then the second, and then the third? That's crazy. The fourth was the icing on top of the cake.

I had almost lost my voice from screaming at the TV so much. Thank god Anna wasn't here tonight to see me.

After the game ended, I didn't have any homework left to do after finishing it earlier today. I didn't wanna have to leave my room either and be faced with the rowdy boys on my floor. I guess Netflix would serve as a trusted friend after all. Halfway through my current episode of Grey's Anatomy, I received a text.

Auston: look who i'm with

Auston: *1 picture attachment*

I opened the text and the picture, a selfie with Auston looking annoyed and his friend Mitch grinning beside him.

Me: you just played the best game of your life and you send me a picture of you and mitch?

Auston: he wanted to say hi

Me: hi

Auston: he says hi back

Me: congrats you guys played great tonight

Auston: thanks

Me: you're so heartless

Auston: ok if i give mitch your #? he keeps bugging to use my phone

Me: sure

Me: all the guys on my floor are raving about you yknow

Auston: i'm used to it

Me: you are?

Auston: well i mean you rave about me all the timeeeee soo.....

Me: okay bye.

——

Mitch: hey nat!!

Me: hey mitch!!

Mitch: long time no talk!!

Me: long time no see either!!

Mitch: come to our home opener!

Me: i was considering it...

Mitch: you have to come! it's in 2 days from now

Me: ok, i'll try talking to auston about it

Mitch: and we'll hang out after

Me: sounds good :)

Mitch: see you then

——

this book already reached 1000 reads? thank you guys so much for reading :) vote on this chap if you want :)