- four : a king's change -

FOUR
A KING'S CHANGE
-
"To the stars who listen - and the dreams that are answered."
-Sarah J Maas, A Court of Mist and Fury.

Underneath the silvery moonlight, Clary Fairchild couldn't be bothered to care about the way her ankles were screaming in agony to stop walking, nor was she bothered by the dry and metallic taste in the back of her throat, because all her senses were filled of was the Lightwood beside her, guiding her through the green Earth next to her in silence.

Clary was no stranger to the unknown, but knowing that there was a stranger beside her that she was just unconsciously following for no reason whatsoever filled her with a thrill that she could barely contain...and immense fright in the very core of her gut.

Her stranger - the man with the black eyes and blonde hair, had told her to trust Alec, but who was to say he wasn't lying to her just as the rest of the world had been doing for months and years and all that she has ever known? The bombshell that Sebastian wasn't all he seemed to be tore her apart, and it was hard enough having to process this entire situation, but how could the man have expected her to give her trust to a complete stranger, despite the far familiarity she sought out in Alec?

Eyes grazing over the unfamiliar glowing blade gripped in Alec's large hands, she came to a realization the the blade the stranger had given her was twin to his, and resting in Clary's sweat slicked hands as well. Interesting.

An awkward clear of Alec's throat instantly put Clary on the high alert, surprising even herself as her emerald orbs met with Alec's ocean blue eyes, their little eye meeting ending in seconds as Alec looked to the ground and allowed words to finally escape his thoughts and evaporate into the night.

"This all may be incredibly difficult to process." Clary wanted to say every single sarcastic remark already conjuring deep within her skull, but she ignored that urge and shoved it all down. Her face stayed stone cold, and she only kept a steady pace with the man beside her, eyes looking everywhere but him.

Sighing, Alec only continued, leading Clary to assume there was only one other person on this planet as stubborn as her: him.

"And I know you must have questions, loads of them, and I am more than willing to answer them whenever you're ready. I won't force you to do something you don't want."

His statement nearly made Clary stop dead in her tracks, only because she wasn't used to having the opportunity to decide something for herself by herself, ever. Sebastian had always decided what he thought was best for Clary and himself, but knowing Alec entrusted her with the ability to be an individual...it made a feeling of comfort soothe the raging storm in her mind.

Waiting ever so patiently, Alec moved on, walking a lot slower than he has all afternoon as Clary debated in her head which question to ask first.

There had always been a silent kind of wonder in her head, that maybe somewhere far, far away, there was a being that held the key to unlock all the questions in the universe, and Clary had to remind herself that Alec wasn't that guy at all. She wouldn't get her hopes up, but only trust him enough to get the simple things right.

Red hair flowing with the night breeze, she asked the first question to capture her attention, eyes traveling to gaze into Alec's face.

"How did you know my name?" Alec's eyes swept over the stars then, as if they held a prayer that'd somehow help him with her question.

"I knew you once. Long ago. Two years to be exact." Each sentence left her in a surprise, her mind swirling as soon as she heard those two key words: two years.