- prologue : shards of heavenly fire -

PROLOGUE
SHARDS OF HEAVENLY FIRE
-
"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."
-William Shakespeare.

The sound of the blade slicing through Sebastian Morgernstern's chest was like a wake up call from the pits of hell, the world around Clary Fairchild seeming golden and exploding with hope. Emerald eyes flying to meet her brother's deadly black ones, she only jammed the blade further into his dead heart, confusion clouding deep within her as she watched Sebastian's face twist into a deadly smile.

It seemed to be all happening in slow motion, the world a cataclysmic result of the Dark War that should of ended when she dug the sword into her brother's chest, ending the unstoppable fear that took hold of her day in and day out.

But beyond the tree of fears that never stopped sprouting, the branches strong and beaming with destruction, another branch had grown, overpowering all of her other fears, even the ones of death.

She didn't have to watch as Sebastian laughed manically to know one thing.

She lost.

Jocelyn screamed as the blade that was dug deep within her son's chest broke into shards of hope, the golden color turning a black as the entire weapon fell down to the ground, hitting the floor with a powerless clink, the rest of her friends watching her as the sword fell out of Clary's grip.

Sebastian's power hungry eyes met her emerald greens, using a shaking hand to pull the remainder of the sword out of his chest, the weapon sliding cleanly out as scarlet coated the shards that now dropped to the grounds of Edom.

"I told you," He whispered, the words causing a chill to emit up Clary's spine. "I will always win."

Magnus Bane screamed from dozens of feet behind her, the room exploding into action as his battle cry echoed through out the large room of Edom, arrows from Alec and Seraph Blades clinking to meet the Endarkened soldiers powerful bodies.

There was no hope. Clary's mind raced as she made a move to surge forward, her body screaming for her to run while her mind screamed at her to find a way out of this dimension. They needed a Portal. And now.

But before she could move further, Sebastian's hand wrapped around her arm, his grip as chilling as death as his fingers dug into her snowy skin.

"Let go of me!" She gritted through her teeth, her eyes connecting with the golden-haired Herondale feet away from her, blood running down his brow as he tried to guard his parabatai from a demon coming Alec's way, their backs hitting one another as they fought relentlessly.

None of them would make it if she couldn't drag Magnus away from this chaos, the Portal they needed a million miles away.

"Not this time, darling sister," His tone thick with promise. Dragging her to his chest with a look of anger, he repeated again, "Not this time."

"You won't win this." Clary shot back, her perfect skill of pissing off Sebastian only so much more powerful at moments like these.

"When will you ever get it into your thick little skull?" Sebastian snarled, digging his nails only deeper into her skin, making her grimace in pain as she felt blood cascade down the length of her arm. "I already have."