- three : the light in the dark -

THREE
THE LIGHT IN THE DARK
-
"We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing in them becomes too high."
-Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Clary had forgotten (or in some cases, couldn't even recall) how fear could spark your legs to life, roaring at you through a sort of ache only your body could generate, the adrenaline coursing through your veins like a burning fire, setting your heart aflame.

Or at least that was what she had metaphorically linked to running for her life, beside the dashing British guard who had helped her out of her room, leading her to a place she would soon be thankful for, her legs aching with the after-effects of fatigue, her mind racing as her ears digested the screams of Sebastian's men, orders and shots being fired enough to make Clary go into a state of madness.

Who was in the manor? What were they looking for? How did they even get in? With questions flooding Clary's mind, she only ran forward, following the man that seemed to be crowded by mystery.

"Where are we?" Clary asked in the mist of panting, her voice coming out in gasps as she struggled to keep up with the blonde. He seemed completely in his element, not shedding a drop of sweat whatsoever.

He was opening door after door, each room long and dark like some kind of hidden passageway, bringing her fourth only deeper and deeper into the Morgernstern manor.

If she had known there were so many secrets hidden away in the manor for the past two years, Clary's adventurous side would have ran rapid.

"We're going outside. There's a safe room built into the grounds someplace." He answered, voice barely steady as he opened yet another door, this one seeming to be built to match the textures and colors of the dark wall, a secret in the mist of the obvious.

A blast of the hot summer air hit her in the face, filling Clary's lungs with the sweetest mist of air, the mist of freedom, the mist of prosperity and promise. After all that has gone down thus far, fresh air filling her lungs was the best thing to happen all day.

Armed men crowded all over the grounds of the front yard of the Morgernstern Manor, the only noise to be heard for miles were screams of  hurried instructions from Sebastian's soldiers and footsteps, echoing and haunting footsteps, mixing with the sound of the familiar wonder of Sebastian's gianormous fountain in the very middle of the yard, the moon hitting the water and reflecting back to the skies. It was symbolic, as the sound of innocence could be deafed down by the sound of battle, the sound of evil.

Stars illuminated the grounds Clary and her stranger walked on, exiting out of the Morgernstern Manor with haste. The blonde haired boy led her behind large and articulate bushes, holding her back while keeping his eyes dilated and alert, seemingly as if he had been through the perfect procedures for this exact situation.

And while her protector held her behind him, covering all views of the world because of his tall and muscular back, Clary's emerald green eyes still couldn't help but drink in all that she could get, the sights and sounds like a new taste of something sweet, an ecstasy she quickly became addicted to. How the moon was carved wholly tonight and how the stars (those sad stars, the stars that never twinkle) lined the skies tonight, all coming together just for the evil that was bound to come down...it all fazed her.

Had the world always been conniving? Had it always twisted up any situation and made it all look perfect, until you got your own magnifying glass and saw the real truth only up close?