Adrian also left out the fact that he felt something was off with Selynn, but he still can't place it.

Adrian had tried warning the girls against their parents because Mr. and Mrs. Delaney could be the culprits that were messing with their magic, but the girls wouldn't listen. They said that they thought their parents didn't know about the supernatural.

Anyway, Adrian had concluded that Vanessa and Selynn are both witches. Witches are like Spellcasters, but witches usually have to use spell books. A spell book is only not required if the witch is very strong, and that power has been passed down from many generations before.

"Ivie!" Vanessa says excitedly like she hasn't seen her in weeks. "Adrian." Vanessa nods her head in greeting, almost reluctantly.

Adrian wonders what he ever did to her to get that reaction. "Vanessa. Selynn." Adrian replies stiffly, confused at why they would be acting this way.

Ivie shoots Adrian a sharp glare, warning him to be nicer to her friends. What's gotten into them?

After a minute of awkward silence, Selynn decides to speak up. "You were supposed to call us back. You promised to help us practice."

Adrian's brows furrow in confusion, but his face quickly smooths out as he understands. "Oh. Sorry, I forgot about that." Adrian was supposed to help Vanessa and Selynn practice magic.

Vanessa waves her hand dismissively in the air. "It's fine. John texted me this morning offering to help out with practice. Then I can help Selynn."

Adrian stiffens at the fact that he's been replaced that easily. How could Adrian not be needed?

Adrian mentally shakes that off. This is for the best. Adrian didn't have a lot of time to help others anyway.

Adrian wants to spend as much time as he can with Ivie before he has to leave town for work. Adrian has a feeling that he'll have a job soon, since it's been awhile since the last one. The Cloud World Council usually doesn't wait this long to give him a new job.

But doing this for Vanessa and Selynn would've been good for Adrian. Ivie would see that Adrian is making an effort to be nice to her friends.

"Well if you change your mind, I'd be glad to help. I know a thing or two about magic." Considering how many times magic has been used against Adrian during his jobs, he definitely knows.

"We'll remember that." Vanessa says with an eyeroll. Selynn catches that and smiles, but Ivie doesn't seem like she noticed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Adrian asks playfully, crossing his arms but not actually getting offended.

"It means what I said. I have to get to class." Vanessa says with a huge smile. She must really enjoy trying to rile up Adrian. Fortunately for everyone, it's not going to work this time.

Vanessa walks away with Selynn close behind, presumably towards their lockers with their schedules and locker numbers for this year in hand.

"I better go too." Ivie says, disappointing Adrian.

"What? How will I get to the office to get my schedule?" Adrian asks as Ivie is slowly backing away.

"The office is that way." Ivie points down one of the few halls. The school isn't that big because it's a small town.

Ivie is backing away faster now, about to disappear into the crowd that's rushing around, either getting breakfast or heading to their lockers.

"Why isn't it by the front doors?" Adrian calls out to Ivie, raising his voice slightly so she'll hear.