Charles Lee

Prompt: Charles comes home and the squad picks on him at a ball Washington organizes. You stand up for him

From your room you hear voices downstairs. And a particularly loud one that you recognize as your husband, Charles Lee.

You shoved the maid out of the way as you sprint towards the stairs, stopping to compose yourself before continuing. Charles would have a cow if you look indecent.

The doctor was talking to the cook, explain everything and then some.

A gasp silences the surrounding conversations.

"Y/n?" Charles asks, voice weak and quiet.

"Yes, Charles?"

"Oh. Oh. It is so good to see you. And to be home!" He says as if he suddenly has a bunch of energy.

Probably just adrenaline, you think to yourself as you walk past him and to the doctor.

"Anything that I will need to do? Or be doing?" You ask, holding your head high even though there was a lump in your throat.

Were you proud of him? No. Not at all. It was childish in your opinion. Childish of both Charles and John Laurens, whom you'd had yet to meet, but inconsiderate of them both when there was a war going on.

"No ma'am. I don't believe so." The doctor replies the whispering, "he's more okay than he's acting."

You huff, that sounded exactly like Charles.

"He just needs plenty of rest." The doctor states, standing straight, nodding and taking his leave.

The cook hurries off again, leaving you and Charles in the receiving area of your home. You had yet to turn and face him again.

"Y/n pleas-."

"Washington is having a ball tonight. We are expected to attend. The doctor let me know you are better off than you're letting on. I expect you to be ready by this evening?" It wasn't a question, it was more of a statement as it left your mouth, you turn at the end of it. Now facing your husband, who's bottom lip was trembling.

You were a little shocked at yourself to be honest, you'd never taken that tone with Charles, but you held fast, not letting it faze you.

"I-I thought you'd be gone." He whimpers, shifting his weight.

"I made a vow the day I said 'I do.' A vow to love and stay with you no matter what idiotic decisions you decide to make." You reply curtly, unmoving.

He nods sheepishly, looking to the ground.

"That was a selfish thing to do Charles. And I know that you know that." Your voice cracked now, though your face was still stern.

"I kno-"

"Especially when there are men dying everyday at the hands of our opposers. Our men should NOT be fighting eachother." Your face grew hot as you spoke, and you swiftly walk back to the stairs.

*Washingtons ball*

You stood at the far corner of the room, having already introduced yourself to many, you needed a moment to breathe.

Although that was short lived as a great commotion was heard from somewhere in the space.

You did distinctly hear your husbands voice though, so you rush towards the scuffle.

It appeared to be Hamiltons possé, Hamilton you'd met and recognized, and your husband. Though your husband was doing nothing wrong, the four men seemed to be... Bullying him?

"You're just a coward, Lee. I bet you got home and your wife was no where to be found. She probably left your sorry as-"

A smack echoes through the venue.

Your hand stung a bit, but probably no as much as John Laurens cheek did.

"Don't you ever talk to my husband that way again. He sure isn't the only one to blame for this whole carfuffle. You're in the wrong too Laurens." You spit his name, the words like venom from your mouth.

The man before you was holding his cheek in his hand, the rest of his group shocked a woman would've done such a thing.

"You all are pathetic and ridiculous. Fighting eachother instead of the ones we are suppose to be fighting." You growl, gripping Charles hand tightly, backing away from the quartet.

"Adieu." You curtsey mockingly, a sickeningly sweet smile on your face as you and Charles take your leave.

"Thank you." Your husband whispers, gripping your hand slightly tighter.