Chapter 11: Comforting hugs

(Reader's POV)

I shifted under the covers of my futon, slowly wakening from my sleep. I stretched out my arms and pushed down the covers with my legs, allowing the cool morning air to hit my body.

That was a mistake. It was freezing cold. So I sat up and pulled the covers back over me. I rubbed my eyes and opened them as I snuggled further into the warm futon. Looking up towards the kitchen, I noticed a certain someone working in the kitchen, cooking. It smelt like bacon and eggs. Maybe even some toast. However, it wasn't Genos who was cooking. Actually, Genos wasn't even here.

"Morning, sleepy-head." Saitama called from the kitchen.

He was dishing up the breakfast plates as I made a loud sleepy moan in reply. He walked over to me and leaned on his knees, looking down at me.

"Are you cold?" Saitama asked.

"Mm-hm." I replied, nodding my head.

"Would you like to get warm?"

"Mm-hm."

"Alright, move over."

Saitama lifted up the covers, forcing me to shiver from the cold air. I shuffled over, giving him some space as he shuffled under the blankets. What on earth was he saying about warmth? He's freezing! I began using my arms to push him away, but he was eager to torment me with his freezing chest.

"Get away you ass!" I yelled, smacking his chest while kicking his legs with my feet.

"Awe. What's wrong?" He said in almost a pitiful tone.

"You're fucking cold! That's what's wrong!"

Saitama wrapped his arms around me, pulling me even closer to him. At this point I was practically whining for him to let me go.

"Fine. But, it's time to get up." He said, getting out of my futon and walking back into the kitchen.

I finally sat up, wrapping my futon cover around me. Saitama was quick to set up the table and cushions as he prepared for breakfast. I crawled over to a cushion and sat down, laying my head on the table. He placed down the plates and sat on the cushion opposite me. He was eager to eat, but waited until I lifted my head off the table. I looked up at him, then down at the plate in front of me.

"You cooked?" I asked.

"Yeah. Go on, try it." He said, urging me to eat his 'amazing' eggs, bacon and toast.

I dug the fork into the food, snagging a single piece of egg, bacon and toast onto one fork. Saitama looked at me, excited to see my reaction. I took the contents off the fork and chewed down the food. I made a goofy smile, my cheeks stuffed with food, showing him I was enjoying it. He gave me a proud look, showing me that he was pleased with his cooking skills.

"Yea, yea. I get it, you can cook." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Indeed I can." He replied, a smirk on his face.

"Don't get cocky with me, mister." I said, pointing the fork at him playfully.

"I won't. I just want us to eat something I cooked and not something Genos cooked for once."

"Yea, I guess so. Genos does cook a lot."

"He does. And I just thought I needed to cook. So I told him to piss off for today."

"You didn't actually say 'piss off', did you?!"

"No, of course not! I said it nicely. I just told him that I wanted a day alone with you. He said it was fine and that he'd be at Dr. Kuseno's for the day."

After finishing our breakfast, Saitama offered to clean up the dishes while I got dressed. He wasn't dressed himself, so I don't know what he was complaining about. So, instead, I offered to help with the dishes. Now both of us were washing and dying as a team. He looked over at me every now and again, as if checking up on me for some strange reason.

"H-hey, are you okay? You keep looking at me oddly." I asked Saitama.

"O-oh, no, it's nothing." He replied.

"Clearly not, otherwise you wouldn't be looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you're worried."

"I...I am worried."

"Why?"

"Because I put you in harms way."

"I'm fine, now."

"I know."

I placed the last dishes in the cupboard and turned around, only to be pushed up against the kitchen bench. Saitama's face was inches away from mine, his eyes staring into my own.

"Yes?" I asked, "What do you wa-"

I was cut off when his lips connected with mine. This again? However, unexpectedly, he pulled away and hugged me instead. His arms had wrapped around my waist, holding me close.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I replied, "And, if this is about Boros. Just forget about it. I'm fine. You're fine. We're all fine. You did your job as a hero and you saved me. Now, let's enjoy the day together and go for a walk in the park or something, okay?"

He looked up at me with a soft smile as if he was thanking me for trying to make the day better.

"Now, don't go making the day all sappy and sad after we just enjoyed a super awesome breakfast." I said in an up-lifting tone.

"You're right." He said, letting me go. "Sorry."

"It's fine. Just cheer up. As you said before, Genos won't be with us today. So let's make today about us."

I smile at him sweetly and he shows me a gentle smile in return.

"Now, first things first. Let's get dressed." I said, pulling him towards the main room.

We were quick to get changed, wanting to leave the stuffy apartment for a bit. we fold up our pyjamas, placing them neatly on the floor next to the futon that I forgot to roll back up. I walked over to Saitama who was eagerly waiting for me at the front door. I walked over and grabbed his hand. He closed and locked the door behind us as we left. We walked down the street, looking at the broken cement as we headed towards the park in city Z.