Ch. 24: Last Goodbyes & New Beginnings

Vanessa's POV:

For the first time in a long time I woke up in the warmth of my true love's arms and it felt so right. I cuddled into her more in the fleeting moment before I turned to look at the clock to find that it was 6 a.m.

I gently slipped out of my lovers embrace and kissed her on the forehead before turning away and searching for my clothes. There were two large suitcases by the door; I assumed her assistant brought them over. Thankfully they were labeled so I opened the one that had my name on it and began to rummage through the clothes. I settled on some ripped jeans, a simple white top, a cardigan, and sneakers. I wrote Quinn a little note letting her know that I would be back shortly before unplugging my phone and stuffing it into my pocket.

I walked out of the hotel and called over a taxi.

"Where to miss?" The taxi driver asked as I took a seat.

"I have multiple stops." I answered.

"Alright give me the first one."

****

It's been a while since I've been here. The most vivid memories I recall are those of my childhood, of the first time I brought Quinn here, and of the last moments I had here when I tried to take my own life. My Sanctuary.

I let myself feel all the emotions that came rushing at me along with the memories, both good and bad. I gazed out onto the changed landscape and tried to engrave what it used to look like into my mind.

With a shaky breath I turned my back to my sanctuary and returned to the taxi to move on to my next stop.

****

I knocked on the door gently, worried that I would wake up his daughter. Soon enough the door opened and a sleepy familiar face emerged from behind the door.

"Nessa?" Benny questioned with confusion when he realized it was I standing before him. "What are you doing here so early in the morning?"

"I came to say my last goodbye." I informed him. "Well, hopefully this won't be the last time I see you but I don't know when we'll be able to meet again after today."

"Come inside Nessa, we can talk in here." He invited me in.

We walked into his living room and I took a seat on the couch.

"Do you want some coffee?" He asked from the kitchen as he made himself a cup.

"Sure." I responded loud enough for him to hear, careful not to awaken his family.

He came into view with two mugs in hand.

"Thanks." I smiled as he gave me my cup.

"So why did you come here to say goodbye?" he asked as he took a seat on a recliner. "And what the hell happened at the wedding yesterday??"

"Yeah, about that." I took a nervous sip from my mug. "You've known Quinn and I since the beginning. And I know that you are fully aware of who it is that I'm truly in love with."

"So then why did you even consider marrying Alexis in the first place?" He raised an eyebrow.

"It's complicated..." I hesitated.

"Nessa, you told me that you didn't know if we would see each other again. So please, don't leave me wondering why." He pleaded. "I know how much you two love each other but what is that keeps you from being together? I know before it was her father but Quinn spent years trying overcome his grip on her life for you."

"That's the thing! He's not gone form our lives! Especially not now that I've left Alexis!!" I exclaimed.

"Shhhhh!" He hushed me and pointed to his daughter's room.