~-1-~

"Hey! Kaylee!" Savanah called her friend over with a wave of her arm. Kaylee glanced in her direction and sighed, dropping her shoulders and walking over. There was no way she could slip out of her sight. Even in this crowd. Class just got out and it was a Friday. Thank God!

"Hey." She responded blankly as she walked up to her and the rest of the group, gripping the straps of her backpack tightly.

"Are you coming to the party tonight at Caleb's?" She asked, sounding a little too excited. Kaylee shook her head a couple of times, her frizzy brown hair falling over her shoulders.

"I can't." She told Savanah, keeping her face as strict and blank as it has been for the last eight months. "I have homework I need to do." She lied.

"You have got to be kidding me! C'mon. Since we got you back it feels like you're not you anymore. Lighten up a little." She said, nudging Kaylee with her shoulder. Kaylee pursed her lips and shook her head.

"I'll see. " She finally said. Savanah gave her a sly smile.

"That's my girl. I'll send you the address." She said. Kaylee nodded as she began to briskly walk away, feeling a knot in her stomach as she hopped onto the silver street bike she was actually renting and pulled her helmet over her face before riding off. Not towards home. In fact, in the completely opposite direction.

She parked her bike at the far back end of the parking lot outside the grocery store that was on the verge of town. Throwing her helmet and bag into the back seat of the old black Honda that has seen too much, she hopped into the passenger's side and slammed the door shut before pulling on her seatbelt and staring ahead with a heavy sigh.

"What's that face for?" He asked.

"Just shut up and drive. " She grumbled. He huffed a chuckle as he popped the gear into drive and pulled onto the road, taking them further out of the small town she called home.

-~-~-~-