Chapter 9: Kidnapped

As the day drew to a close and I was getting ready for bed I started to think about meeting Avalon. Should I go or should I stay. I told myself I would wait until the time. I set the alarm for midnight and turned it down so no one else would hear. I slipped into bed and soon fell asleep.

I woke up and heard the alarm beeping quietly in my ear.

“Ok, it’s time.” I got out of bed and got dressed. I packed a few things and headed for the door. I was about to turn the doorknob when I heard a voice behind me.

“Where are you going?” I turned around and saw Jace.

 “Ugh, hugh. Ok, do you want the truth?”

“Ok.”

“You know when I went away when we were in the park.”

He nodded in reply.

“Well, it was Avalon. She told me to come meet her at our favourite spot to hang out at school at midnight. I thought of not going but I can’t not go. I mean what if it’s important?”

“If you want to go, I’m not going to stop you. But before you do, I need to give you this.” He held out his hand and in it was sitting a necklace with the letter M hanging on it . The M was made of rubies. “I was going to give it to you before but that’s when you left. I have to admit I nearly forgot about it but when you came back you made me remember.”

“It’s beautiful!” I said.

“Turn around,” he said.

I did what he said and he reached around me and clipped it on. I turned around and showed him.

“You look beautiful.”

I felt my cheeks go red and I smiled.

“Thanks.”

I looked down at it and twirled it in my fingers.

“Ungh.” I heard Jace stutter. I looked back up and saw him on the floor with his eyes covered with a bandana.

“Jace!”

I felt something put over my mouth, I started to feel sleepy. Before I saw our attacker I had been blindfolded and pushed on the floor. The last thing I saw was Jace’s expressionless face.

I woke up and found myself lying on a cold damp floor in what looked like a prison cell. I looked down as I heard a groan. Jace was lying next to me, he looked horrible. I bent over and shook him gently.

“Jace!” I whispered to him.

He groaned and opened his eyes.

“Are you alright?” I asked.

“Where are we?” he asked.

“I don’t know. I think we were drugged and kidnapped.”

 “What?” he said.

“We ended up at this place.”

I scanned the room carefully. There was a single candle in the middle of the room. Water dripped from the roof and I heard a soft scuttling.

“Jace.” I said. “I’m scared. What if we’re in here forever.” I suddenly remembered the necklace. I reached down and breathed a sigh of relief when I felt the M. Out attackers hadn’t found it—yet.

 “Everything will be alright.” he said. He hugged me tightly and started to let go but I didn’t let him.

“No, don’t let me go. I feel safer when I’m with you.”