Chapter 28

WARNING : Mature content coming your way.

You're welcome ;)

***

"We're getting close," Lydia said. She could taste the victory on her lips. In days now, they'd be rich. She could only dream of the shiny jewels waiting for them. Adventure. Lydia had gotten a taste of it and like a drug, it ran deep into her veins, holding her soul prisoner for the feeling she got every day.

Days had gone by and the guilt and pain barely surfaced. She felt safer knowing Raven was gone. She knew she'd paid the consequences. The ocean no longer called out to her at night. Her body felt so grounded to this ship that she found it hard to breath at times.

What if she couldn't get back? Mermaids were never meant to kill outside of the sea. They hunted, took gold and sunk ships but they didn't shoot men with pistols.

Lydia didn't want to focus on her doubts. Not when they were this close to their treasure.

Bellamy sighed. He'd been studying the map for hours now and still couldn't find a way to get through. They'd cast anchor three days ago, in front of what was meant to be the entrance to the haven.

Rocks. The island was surrounded by them, which made sailing too dangerous. Until they figured out how to get past them, they were trapped.

Sitting in his chair, Lydia had watched Bellamy read documents closely. His dark blonde hair was out of his face, held back by his bandana.

For some reason, Lydia couldn't stop thinking about the way he'd held her. Before battle, when his mouth had been on her neck, when his breathing had become rapid and his eyes had rolled back, savoring the moment.

She'd tried to forget her palms itching to feel his skin, her whole body sighing with content. She'd tried to look past the emotions that had built up inside of her.

Around him, she wasn't a monster living in the depths of the ocean. Around her, he wasn't a beast spilling blood in the streets. Woman and man who lived with good and bad inside of them. Sinners, far too gone for redemption. Heroes, far too lost in their own story.

For some unknown reason, Lydia had always felt safe around Bellamy, even when he was raging mad against her, even when he was holding a knife to her throat or threatening her. She'd never been as afraid of Bellamy as she'd been while on Raven's ship.

Turning around she made her way closer to him and stopped when she was right in front of the captain. He tilted his head up to watch her. "Ye looking for something?"

She nodded.

Bellamy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Well, what is it?" he'd put the maps aside to focus on her. Dark blue orbs that grew intense when they landed on her. Lydia craved the effect she had on him. Brave, ruthless, Captain Bellamy Davis, unable to resist temptation.

In that moment, that's all she was.

Putting each leg on either side of his thighs, she boldly took her place on his chair. Bellamy's eyes grew dark as he watched her intently. She enjoyed it: the way his chin jutted upwards and his hands gripped the material of her loose cotton shirt.

Seeing as he wasn't telling her to stop, Lydia brought her face closer to his and dipped her lips towards his neck. The feeling was so strange yet addicting. She'd never kissed another man but something told her the feeling she got around Bellamy was unique.

Her lips trailed the tanned skin, smelling the distinct odor of the salty sea and sunny days. She needed more. Very gently, her tongue trailed a path up his neck until her teeth pulled on the small earring he was wearing. Bellamy let out a low moan and she turned her head to see his face. His eyes were closed, his head resting against the back of the chair as his hands gripped her tighter.