Ryan: How's the first day little A?

I smile to myself typing discreetly under the desktop so the teacher doesn't spot me.

Analise: Not too bad, but not really great. They put me in calculus again!

Ryan: What idiots! Whats not really great about it?

Analise: Well, first, I have no idea where anywhere is, and I'm probably going to be associated with The Sanfords, in which all of the girls will claw my eyes out.

Ryan: I'm sorry Annie, just ignore them, and try to make new friends!

Analise: Easy for you to say. I'm socially awkward and I don't want new friends.

Ryan: Then you can suffer through senior year alone.

Analise: Don't forget Liam!

My phone buzzes in my hands and I'm about to reply, when the teacher calls me, "Miss Gates?" My head shoots up, seeing that everyone is staring at me. "Yes?" I swallow the nervous lump forming in my throat. "I asked you a question." "Which was?" I zone off, waiting for him to repeat himself. "I won't repeat myself." He speaks sternly, and I don't know what comes over me, but I say, "Then I just won't answer, I guess." There are gasps and "Ooohs" heard around the room, and Mr. Nicholas looks very unhappy. As he's about to say something else to me, I hear Ian's voice, "The answer is thirty-two." Nicholas's red face turns to Ian, his jaw unclenching, "Thank you, Mr. Sanford. Very nice of you to answer for Miss Gates." "No problem," He shrugs, sneaking a glance at me over his shoulder. Nicholas turns back to the board, writing more nonsense that is Econ. Thank you, I mouth to Ian who nods in response.

Liam catches my eye, his intense stare making me awkwardly shift. The right side of his lip is slightly curled up, while his dark hair flows down almost into his eyes. I avert my eyes, not wanting to look at him. It's already been noticed that his gaze is locked on me. Some of the girls look jealous, others angry, and the rest just downright sorry for me. As the bell for fourth period to end rings, I shoot out of my chair, eager to find the J Building and escape Liam, but before I can make a break for it, someone grips my arm and snatches me to them. I squeeze my eyes shut, then slowly look up- Liam. "What do you want?" I ask, exasperated. "I'm showing you to your classes! I have Physics next, what about you?" He yanks my schedule out of my hand, skimming over the words with his eyes. As he hands it back to me, his eyes skim over me. "Do you have apodyopsis 24/7?" I question, raising a brow. He seems confused as he runs his fingers through his hair, "Apody- what?" I sigh, roll my eyes, then explain, "Apodyopsis, the act of mentally undressing someone with your eyes." "I wasn't undressing you mentally." "Sure you weren't," I roll my eyes again, starting towards the direction I think i'm supposed to be going. "Analise," He calls after me, and I answer with a, "What?" "J building is this way," He features backwards with his thumb.

I huff, spinning around and stomping past him toward the brick building with a large white J on the side. Well that's not obvious, Annie, I hear his voice chuckle to me and I shudder. "Cold?" Liam raises his eyebrow as he comes beside me. "N-no," I stutter quietly, clinging my bag strap closer to me. "You sure? You're shaking pretty bad..." He lays his hand on my shoulder and I jerk away. "I'm fine!" I hiss through my teeth, trying to push al thoughts of Elliot out of my head. Today was supposed to be a sadness-free, normally awkward first-day. "Woah, chill Annie. Didn't mean to upset you," He says from behind me, and I freeze. And there it is. That darned nickname- Annie. "Don't call me that, Liam," I say lowly, and he comes to stand beside me.

"Why not, Annie?" He says it again, playing with me. "Please stop, I don't want to have a panic attack at school," I murmur the last part, but he apparently catches it because he steps in my way, causing me to sigh in annoyance. "Why do you get so upset when I call you 'Annie?'" I re-freeze at the question, and vaguely answer, "Personal matters. I may tell you later." Never gonna happen! This is our secret, princess. That voice taunts me, but it's not the caring and fun Elliot. It's him. The cause of the nightmares and pain. The cause of Elliot's death and my depression. He started it all. I shiver again at the creepy voice replaying in my mind, and Liam shakes me slightly, "Hey, Analise, are you alright?" I nod silently. When I find my voice, I request, "Can we just go to class now?" "Of course, princess," He smiles wolfishly before wrapping his arm around me and leading me to Physics. I don't push him away like usual. I need the support. Without it, I'm pretty sure I would've collapsed. When we make it to Mrs. Barton's room, we're already ten minutes late, and everyone stares at us like we're on fire. "Take any seat," Mrs. Barton says, smiling slightly at us. I go to the very back, sitting by the window, once again. Liam sits at the table with me, scooting his chair closer than necessary. I try to subtly move over, but he catches my action and yanks my seat back, then locks the chairs together. i huff, crossing my arms over my chest at his stubbornness. He lays his arm across the back of my chair as he somewhat slides down in his seat. I sit with perfect posture, trying to focus on what Mrs. Barton is saying.

Half an hour later, Liam is even closer, and his hand has made it's way to my mid-thigh. I know that if I make any move to remove it, everyone thats watching us from the corners of their eyes will assume the worst, and I can't have people thinking that I'm Liam's slut- especially not on my first day. So, I sit there and try to live through it, but as the minutes tick away on the clock, his hand moves farther and farther up, causing me to squirm uncomfortably. When the bell finally rings, I shoot out of my seat and out of the room, hoping Liam will take it as a hint to leave me alone. I'm not that lucky, however, because he saunters out of the classroom and swings his arm around my shoulders, "Ready for AP Psychology, Ana?"

I huff and roll my eyes in response, pulling away from him and accidentally running right into Kade. I step back quickly into Liam's grasp, and he holds me tightly to his side. "Well, hello again Analise," Kade purrs, earning a shiver from me. "Liam," He nods. "How are you two this fine day?" "We're fine, Kade," Liam answers for me and I completely avert my gaze. "I thought she was with Brian? What do you do? Trade her throughout the family?" Kade questions, seemingly onto us.

"Yeah. She's like our hired whore," Liam says sarcastically, and the other boy looks taken aback. "Hired whore?" He looks to me, raising my chin up with his fingers, "How much?" I yank away from his fingers and away from Liam, then hurry around them both to what I hope is the way to the Psychology building.