1: New Beginnings

A/N: I finally got the story on track. Hope you guys like it!

"But I don't want to go!" I whine, trying to map out a last-resort effort as I stand in front of Gate Sixteen at Allegiance Airlines.

"We know," My step-father says irritably, squeezing the bridge of his nose with his fingers. I scowl at him, about to make a sarcastic remark, but my mother steps in and places her hands on my shoulders.

"Honey, we know, but this will be good for you, especially after Elliot's accide-" I cut her off abruptly, "Don't you dare say his name!" I hiss, my face contorting with anger.

Oh no, you're not pulling that card Harriet!

"Don't even act like you care at all." Her face turns into a sorrowful glance, "I do care, sweetie. That's why I'm doing this- for you. You haven't been happy in months, I-"

"I would've been just fine if you'd left me alone," I spit, my anger rising with each word spoken. "Don't yell at your mother, especially not in a public place!" Darren, my step-father breaks in.

"Some of us have reputations to uphold." I roll my eyes instantly as he refers to his campaign for governor of Wisconsin. "Yeah, yeah, good reputation equals more votes equals the prized title of governor, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada." I summarize the gist of what he's ever said to me.

He smiles, "At least you've learned something from me." "Mhm," I hum, rolling my eyes once more. "And thats why you're shipping me off. Can't have a reckless teen on the loose during election season, can we Dicken?"

"Analise!" My mother scolds. "What did I tell you about using that sort of language?" "Sorry Harriet, I was just using Darren's native tongue, wasn't I, Dicken?" I turn to him, sneering.

As he's about to speak, a cheery voice comes over the speaker, "Flight 289 Amherst Junction, Wisconsin to Los Angeles, California, please board at Gate Sixteen, you will departing shortly. Thank you."

"Well," I throw my jacket over my shoulder, and fake sadness, "This is...goodbye." I sniffle, then say in a monotonous tone, "Bye Darren, Harriet."

I spin around and enter the sea of people pouring through the gate. As soon as I'm on the plane, I check my ticket for my seat number, then silently make my way to first class.

I sit down in the window seat, throwing my purse and jacket down beside me in the seat bought out by my mother. She couldn't handle the fact that I may be sitting by some weirdo, so she moved me to first class and bought the seat next to me. Any more luxuries and I'd actually start to think that she cared about my existence at all.

"This is your pilot, we will be departing in around five minutes, please take your seats. Also, don't forget that we will have a half hour stop in Minnesota around an hour and a half in. Lastly, please go ahead and turn off any electronic devices. You will be notified when you may turn them back on. Thank you and enjoy your flight with Allegiance Airlines."

I turn off my phone, breathing a heavy sigh before sinking farther back into my seat. I buckle up quickly, grabbing onto my armrests tightly as I wait for takeoff.

As I'm controlling my unsteady breathing, I hear a voice from beside me, "Are you alright Miss?" I open one eye to see a flight attendant, all smiles, dressed in a ridiculous red uniform.

"Uh, yeah, just a little acrophobic, thats all," I half smile at her before focusing on the mini television in front of my seat.

"Do you need anything?" She furthers her questioning.