Chapter XV

I followed behind Chancelor, Danielle, and Fenix as we weaved through the crowd in the village. It was the first time in three days that I’d been outside, and the sunlight was more than a little blinding.

People stopped Chancelor left and right, telling him how much they missed him and asking him how school was going. He was patient and took the time to speak with everyone, assuring them that he’d much rather be the Alpha than go to an academy.

I didn’t understand it, personally. If I had the chance to go to an actual school, I’d take it in a heart beat. Then again, I was more brain-oriented than most wolves.

We came near a few houses closer to the edge of the territory, and Chancelor stopped, looking at them. “These are unoccupied, I believe.” he mumbled. The houses looked like every other in the village-- small, but with two stories. Every house had two stories, even the ones in the trees. I assumed they had some members who were really good at construction. Thankfully, these houses were on the ground, and Chancelor opened the door to one, peering inside. It was dark, so he and Fenix went around lighting a few of the lamps as I looked everything over.

“All of the houses are already furnished.” Chancelor said when I touched the couch. “It just makes it easier than telling people to buy everything on their own. Especially with all the people we have. Plus we have some great carpenters.” he smiled. I enjoyed the fact that he was so proud of his pack, and couldn’t help a small smile in return as I continued looking around.

Eventually I made my way upstairs, checking out the bedrooms and bathrooms. I was just coming out of one of the rooms when Chancelor came up the stairs. “So, like the house?”

“Very much, thank you.”

He nodded, still smiling. “Fenix told me you liked to read, so I’ll see about getting a few bookcases in here sometime soon. Maybe convert one of the bedrooms up here to a library.”

I nodded at that, and he glanced around the hallway. “Well, if we’re done here for now, we can head over to get a lock for the house. I want to show you around and make sure you’re comfortable with the pack; especially since I won’t be here very long.”

“That’s fine.” I agreed, following him back into the living room. We blew the lamps out and opened the curtains instead, letting sunlight into the house before we went to an older wolf named Jackson, who served as the blacksmith for the pack. He told us the lock wouldn’t take any longer than two hours, and Chancelor thanked him before leading us back into the crowd of people.

“Well, not that this isn’t fun, but I’ve got some filing to do.” Danielle said. Chancelor frowned.

“Aw, come with us Dani, it’ll be fun.”

“No thanks.” she smiled, patting Chancelor on the head before she headed for the center house. Chancelor huffed, then looked up at Fenix.