Chapter 32 - Just Breathe

It had been a couple of years since I'd been ice skating. This would be the first time since the incident with Sonny, but it could be alright, since the worse I skated, the more I would get to hold onto Michael. I smirked at my own twisted reasoning and bounded down the stairs.

"Kate, do you want me to iron your dress for tonight?" Nan called from the kitchen.

"Yes, please." Our little household had been so happy lately. My mother and grandmother were obviously fond of Michael and happy that I was happy. And apart from the sadness I felt about Gabe, I was happier than I'd ever been. My life was so good that I sometimes had a hard time believing how I ever deserved it.

Glancing out the window, I saw Michael walking up the steps.

"Bye, Nan!" I yelled and skipped out the door, nearly colliding with him as he got to the porch. He caught me with both hands to keep me on my feet.

"Did you stay up all night dreaming of more ways to torment me today?" he joked.

"Just half the night," I replied.

He had a pair of men's ice skates slung over his shoulder. Drat. If he owned his own skates, it meant that he could probably skate as well as he played football. I would have to rent my skates. Once we reached the rink, we sat side by side on the bench, racing to see who would get theirs laced up first. He finished first and threw me a victory grin. I finally tied the last knot and stood up. My ankles bent inward and I grabbed his arm to keep myself from falling. His mouth quivered, trying not to laugh at me.

"Kate, um, you need to lace them a little tighter. Here, let me help." I sat back down on the bench as he knelt in front of me, pulling each row tighter and then tying them neatly. "There, try standing now." He helped me up and it was easier. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Very mature, Miss Fitzgerald."

He took my hand and I hobbled over to the rink entrance.

"Come on, just trust me. You'll be a whiz at this after a couple of times around."

He put one hand firmly on either side of my waist and moved me forward onto the ice in front of him. Pushing ever so slightly, he patiently explained how to move my feet and legs. After awhile, I could actually make it around the rink without falling. Every time I started to lose my balance, he steadied me. I looked like I'd never been skating before.

"Whew, I'm thirsty, and I need to take a break. Can we sit down for a minute?" I asked, out of breath from my efforts to stay vertical.

"Sure. Don't want to wear you out too much or I'll be going to the dance alone."

As the surface under my skates changed from ice to rubber flooring, I fell sideways. Michael reached for me, but I was already too far over and pulled him down with me. We pushed each other playfully, trying to extricate our tangled legs. Flopping down on the rink bench, I marveled at his face, all pink from skating and laughing, not to mention the embarrassment of falling. His violet blue eyes sparkled, and he leaned over and kissed me on the forehead. I hugged him and spent the rest of the afternoon in what was pretty close to my own personal heaven.

The afternoon's exertions had worn me out. After Michael dropped me off at home, I went upstairs and lay across my bed. I'd never make it to the dance if I didn't take a nap. I set my alarm clock, and called down to mom, asking her to make sure I got up before dinner. Tonight was no study session. It was the first time that Michael and I had ever been out at night together on a real date, let alone an event as big as the St. Ig Thanksgiving dance. I fell asleep as soon as I closed my eyes.