Chapter 48 - The Lake

It didn't take long to reach the turnoff to the lake, but I was surprised at how far back into the woods we had to drive on the dirt access road. And it was pitch black: no streetlights, just the car's headlights. Insects and other creatures screeched and buzzed relentlessly, but at least it was too early in the season for mosquitoes. After a couple of miles, lights appeared ahead of us from other cars that were pulling alongside the cabins. I could barely make out the lake, except when headlights flashed on the water's surface. Some of the boys carried stereo equipment, food and drinks, blankets, folding chairs and strings of lights into the cabins.

"Michael, what are they going to do with the lights?" Surely they weren't going to decorate this place too.

"There aren't any lamps in the cabins in the off season, so it helps keep us from tripping over stuff."

He got out of the car and motioned for me to stay inside while he went back and forth between the car's trunk and the cabin, unloading whatever he had in there. My stomach tightened, remembering Anita's prediction. When he finally finished, he opened my door.

"Kate, don't get freaked out, but I'm going to carry you to the cabin so you don't get any dirt on your dress."

Taking a deep breath, I beat back the recurrent reaction I had to being picked up as he carefully transferred me.

"I put the blanket down for you to stand on while you change into your bathing suit. We swept the cabins out earlier this week, but I don't think that would protect your dress. Here's a flashlight, a towel, and your bathing suit. I already hung a towel over the window, so you're good to go. And no, I won't look."

He turned the flashlight on and laid it on the floor.

"Thank you.  This is very sweet, but I need you to help me unzip in the back because I can't reach it very well."

He stared at me for a moment, unsure of my motive. I reached my arms around to show him that I truly couldn't get to the zipper pull. Cautiously, he reached for it, as I heard the tempo of his breathing increase. With my back to him, I couldn't see his face so I waited nervously. Suddenly I felt his lips brush the back of my neck while he slowly pulled the zipper downward. Skin to skin, he kissed the trail of the zipper down my spine. I closed my eyes, arching my back in response to the exquisite feeling. Afraid to look into his certainly dark eyes, I waited, clinging to the sensation. When he slid his hands inside the dress and rested his fingers on my skin, I had to turn around. Unbeknownst to me, the fabric had caught on his buttoned cuff, and I came completely out of the dress from my waist up. His eyes flew wide and he rocked back on his heels as I cried out and grabbed the towel to cover myself. He stood there, transfixed, with his hands fisted at his sides, struggling to regain control of himself.

I mentally berated myself and, finding my voice, I said, "Michael, stay there. Just wait a minute until I change."

Angry with myself, I wiggled out of the rest of the dress and pulled on my bathing suit, tying the ends of the towel around my waist. Walking over to him, I took his hands and put them around my waist. When I stood on my toes to reach up and kiss him, I felt a shiver go through his body.

"It was an accident. Forget it."

He rolled his eyes at me. "That's easy for you to say."

He seemed even more bothered by what had happened than I was.

"Then let's take a break and go get something to eat. When we finish eating, you can go put your bathing suit on and we'll take a swim."

I figured we should stay around his group of friends for awhile, for both our sakes. He took my hand, and we walked over to the main cabin where things were set up. We looked comical - him still in his tux and me in my bathing suit.

We put some food on our paper plates and sat in folding chairs. Resting my hand on his forearm, I gave it an understanding squeeze. After a few bites, I got up and walked over to one of the coolers, pulled out two beers and handed one to Michael. His face reflected my own wonder as to where my self-assurance was coming from. The first sip told me that I wasn't crazy about the taste of beer, but I drank it without flinching. Michael kept glancing over, wondering where the girl went that he brought to the prom.

I grinned at him and finished the rest of my bottle. He rose from his chair and threw away our plates and bottles before walking outside to change. I waited in the folding chair, listening to the music. A couple of minutes passed and then he stuck his head in the doorway, gesturing with a curled index finger for me to follow. I smiled and nodded, moving toward him. He still wasn't talking much, but I sensed that he wasn't as upset as before. We paused on the porch as he raised my wrist toward the light, touching his finger to the wristlet that I'd worn for the first time. I squashed a laugh, realizing that it had taken him this long to notice it.

"I didn't know you had one of these too. When did you get it?" he asked.

"Actually, at the same time that I bought yours, but this is the first time I've worn it."

"What made you pick this shade? It's very unusual."

Smiling, I traced my finger across the top of his cheekbone.

"I chose it because it made me think of the color of your eyes."

My answer triggered an emotional response, as he slowly leaned down and kissed me lightly. He rested his cheek against mine, breathing deeply again. I took his hand, and we walked down to the edge of the lake. He stood, flicking at the water with his toes.

"I'm really sorry about before," he began, as I put my finger across his lips, shushing him.

He gave me a brief smile and we walked slowly into the water until it covered our shoulders. I reached my arms up around his neck and unleashed the kiss that I'd learned from Etienne for the first time. He tried to be tentative and careful, but quickly curled his arms around my hips and swayed against me. The water, his lips and skin were a potent combination and I let myself sink into the lovely ache that swirled through me. There wasn't much night left before I'd have to go home, so I let my legs float up until I could wrap them around his waist. He moved his lips back from mine and stared into my eyes, trying to read them.

"You know I have to take you back home soon," he whispered hoarsely.

"I know. Just kiss me once more."

He crinkled his brow slightly.

"You know I'm not going to be able to stop if you kiss me like that again. Where did that come from?"

"Please, once more," I sighed.

"Jesus, Kate, what's with you tonight?" he exhaled a dark laugh.

"I love you, Michael," I breathed into his ear.

The adrenaline surge was making me woozy. He wore a peculiar expression on his face, and was plainly wrestling with his conscience. His penetrating eyes studied my face, which must have shown how far beyond control I was. I kissed him again, and there was no reluctance or caution as his arms tightened around me, responding to my irrational, overheated behavior. His hands moved to untie the neck strap of my suit, but stopped and rested on my shoulders. He pulled his face back once again.

"I love you too, and that's why we're leaving now."

He carried me back to the shore, letting me keep myself wrapped around him until we got to the car.

"Uh, I can't get you into the car unless you put your legs back down on the ground." He was half-chuckling at me now, unable to figure out my strange behavior.

"Fine! See if I ask you to kiss me again," I jokingly threatened.

It might not be tonight, but I knew I would soon.