Chapter 14 - Camping in Hell

Shortly before the end of our softball season, Ellen started to talk up her Girl Scout Troop's summer camping trip. Both Ellen and Missy belonged to the HSS-affiliated troop. Anita and I had dropped out two years ago, as we weren't as interested in it as our friends. Every summer, the troop went on a week-long outing in the mountains of western Maryland. The older scouts like Ellen and Missy were allowed to bring a friend, as a way to try to get more girls to join, so they asked Anita and me to go. I wasn't too sure about it, because other than sleeping in a tent in my backyard with friends, I'd never been camping before, particularly for such an extended period and so far from home. But Ellen and Missy kept begging, saying how much fun it would be if all four of us went, and Anita said anything was better than being bored at home for a week. I hoped that my mom would balk when I asked about going, but she was enthusiastic.

Ellen gave us a copy of the packing recommendations and we readied ourselves for the trip. Gabe was disappointed when I told him I was going to be away the whole week. Now that Michael had left for his camp counselor's job, he acted lost. For all the rivalry between them, he obviously missed his older brother very much. I felt sorry for him and invited him to come over to my house on Saturday, the day before we were to leave for the mountains.

When Saturday arrived, my bags were already packed and piled in the hallway for departure. I was sitting on the front porch under the big green awning, reading one of the books on my summer required reading list when Gabe walked up the steps.

"Hi, Gabe! I'm glad you decided to come over. Want something to drink?" I asked.

"Yeah, thanks, that would be great. It's good that you have that awning over your porch, because it's getting really hot. This is probably a good time to be going to the mountains where it'll be cooler."

I went inside for a moment to retrieve two drinks and some of Nan's lemon cookies. When I came back out onto the porch, Gabe had pulled the cushioned chair as close as possible to the chaise lounge where I'd left my book. He turned it over to look at the title.

"'The Body War'.....that's a strange name for a book. What's it about?"

I started to tell him and then wished he hadn't seen it.

"It's really good. It's about a girl who likes two boys who are brothers.....well, it started out good, but it's pretty unrealistic. I mean, that kind of stuff doesn't happen."

I hoped he'd buy my sudden about-face. The book was fascinating to me as I knew it was entirely possible. He didn't comment, and just put the book back down on the chaise, shifting his gaze to the street. I had to think of something to distract him from whatever he was mulling over in silence.

"So what are you going to do with yourself while all of us are gone?"

"I'll probably try to read as many of the books on our list as I can so that I don't get caught in a marathon at the end of the summer," he admitted.

Shoot, I'd forgotten that he had the same reading list and would have to read that book too. He wasn't going to like it, and it was going to make him paranoid. In an unusual move, he reached over and took my hand.

"And I'm going to miss you a lot, Kate."

I shifted in my seat in response, unaccustomed to this type of personal declaration. His ice-blue eyes held mine, and then glanced quickly at the windows, checking for mom or Nan before he leaned over and kissed me. I froze, not expecting it. It was as beautifully pure and chaste as a first kiss could be, and I felt a shiver during the brief time that he pressed his lips against mine. It was the first contact we had since dancing at Christmas, seven months ago. A major shift had just taken place in our relationship.