Chapter Three: The Next Time They Meet

After setting the ingredients on the table Draco straightens the tie around his neck. He notices the slight twinkle in Potter's eye when doodling whatever he is doodling. Draco sighs slightly. Whether that be in amusement or irritation is unknown.

Harry looks up at catches Draco's eye before looking back at the cauldron in front of them. He can't help the slight jump of his stomach, maybe he ate something funny.

He can't help but feel hyperaware of Malfoy's presence in the room. It's like he's burning in his skin. His lungs feel fine but his stomach and heart are on fire, but not a burning fire, a warm winter's day fire. One that keeps him warm and comfy.

What a weird choice of words to use. Warm, comfy. They just seem fitting to him. For Malfoy, why would they seem fitting though?

"Potter," Draco snaps his fingers in front of his face for the seventh time. He stopped doodling and started staring off into space.

"Huh? Whad-I-miss?" Harry says and looks over, he never really noticed the slight blue in his grey eyes, but the right amount of sunlight makes the color really pop.

"Potions, we're making a potion in potions class. Now, can you hand me the porcupine quills? Please?" Draco asks after putting in the first ingredient, shrivelfig.

"What are we making?" Harry hands over the quills and glances down at the other ingredients.

"Well, if you were paying attention, instead of doodling, you'd know we were making an elixir." Draco pushes the cauldron towards Harry, "stir it five--four! Times anti-clockwise."

Harry follows Draco's instructions and watches the liquids.

"What kind of elixir?" He stares over at Draco who's diligently re-reading his notes.

"One to induce euphoria." He says off handedly tracing his finger below the words. "It says side effects include sporadic singing and nose tweaking? What is nose tweaking? And I hope that you don't end up singing. It's bad enough hearing your regular voice."

"Prat," Harry mumbles and waits for instructions.

"Where are the beans?" Draco asks and looks around on the table.

"Shouldn't we add peppermint leaves?" Harry questions and Draco stares at him.

"The instructions don't say anything about peppermint leaves."

"Last I made this, I added peppermint leaves. Counteracts the side effects, so no terrible singing." Harry smiles genuinely and Draco freezes, his whole body going rigged for a split second before he snaps himself out of it.

"Right..." Draco scurries over to the shelves and looks for the leaves. Harry stares after him, he doesn't know why he smiled at him. It felt nice though. But, Draco apparently didn't think so.

Harry furrows his eyebrows tightly, still not completely knowing what came over him. Hermione is staring over at them, but Harry doesn't notice, he's watching the blond grab the peppermint with slightly shaky hands. She looks where her slightly dimwitted friend is looking and lifts her eyebrows. He's looking at the prat with the same look he reserves for treacle tart. She shakes her head and turns back to Pansy Parkinson, her partner. 

"Now add the beans, Potter." Draco drops the leaves into the elixir watching them dissolve and fade into the potion. Draco watches him add the beans haphazardly and toss them in. He notices the distant look in his eyes and grabs his hand before he adds too many. His fingers tighten around Harry's hand stopping his movement and causing Harry to look at him. He gently pries open Harry's hand and grabs the eighth bean that would have ruined their potion.

"Seven only, didn't you read?" Draco loosens his grip and Harry lets his hand fall to the table. Harry nods absentmindedly, just focusing on the little sparks that are flying in the nerves of his hands. One thought on his mind, just wow, how he wants to hold his semi-cold hand until his hands feel warm and he doesn't feel like his hands have been charged. 

"Wormwood, please." Draco holds out his hand and watches the potion change colors. He doesn't notice Harry's hesitation when handing the ingredient over. Harry delicately sets it in his hands and watches him add it in. The blond stirs the elixir six times anti-clockwise before watching a rainbow erupt from the cauldron in front of them. He sets his hand on the table with a satisfied grin when Slughorn walks over to their potion. 

"Great job boys! This is fantastic, now would one of you like to try it?" He smiles at Harry who begrudgingly grabs a spoonful. He swallows it and cannot help the smile that covers his face. 

"You're both going to fail this class." Slughorn says, his face hardset and unmoving. 

"What?!" Draco screeches while Harry just smiles and nods along.

"Alright!" Harry says and laughs. Slughorn's face goes back to normal and he nods his head.

"Just wanted to make sure it was brewed correctly Mr. Malfoy, and as I can see it has been. Good job." He walks away towards the other students who're still working on the advanced potion. Draco looks at Harry who is staring at him like he put the moon and stars in the sky. He scratches the back of his neck and quickly scourgifies the table and cauldron. Harry just ogles at him the whole time, never taking his eyes off of him and the happy smile never stops. 

"Why're you staring at me Potter?" Draco asks looking down at the parchment that he's put down. He writes down the homework that's on the board and tries not to read too deeply into the look, as Harry is under the influence of a potion. 

"Because you're pretty." Harry says like it's the most simple thing in the world and ruffles the blond's loose hair. 

"Potter!" Draco drops his pencil and lets out a less than manly squeak. His hands fly up and try to fix the messed up strands and whines when he can't see how ruffled and ragged it looks. Harry just smiles and continues to stare, feeling the most happiness he's ever felt staring at the flustered Draco.

The classroom goes still, give or take a few unaware peers, and stares at the two supposed enemies. Hermione shares a look with Pansy and they both shake their heads.

Draco whines and glares at Harry.

"My father will hear about this, Potter." He says and sighs defeated into his palm.

Harry just smiles and nods along the whole time.