Chapter Eight: Fantasic Ways to Self Destruction

Softly treading down the grassy hill, Draco makes his way deeper into the Forbidden Forest. It's his escape from his escape. Home from home per se. After Pansy left the room and went back to Blaise and the other eighth years Draco slunk off to the dark forest. He doesn't want them to see him cry.

It seems the whole world is against him. He never thought this is how his school life would go. He thought because his father was the high class man he was, school would be him on top of his totem pole for the whole thing.

But, after fourth year things steadily went down hill for the Malfoy name. Now, an eighth year, his name is so far in the gutter that he's surprised anyone even says it without feeling dirty.

He pushes passed branches and bushes and walks deeper into the forest.

"I see Malfoy is missing from his usual spot." Ron comments off handedly. Harry looks up and tries to spot him at the Slytherin's table. But, Ron being correct, he doesn't see him.

"Ginny said she heard Pansy telling Blaise that he was avoiding them and hiding out in the forest." Hermione says looking over her book at the two. She looks back down when Ron nods and Harry stands.

"Right now? On a full moon? Is he crazy? I'm going to go find him." Harry pushes his half full plate of food to the middle of the table and rushes out of the doors.

"Stupid git, what's he doing in the forest?!" Harry whispers to himself rushing passed first years who look too scared to say anything as they watch him argue with himself. He opens the doors and steps out into the night air, he walks over to the grass before pushing his glasses up and running towards the forest.

The wind bites his ears and exposed flesh, but the pounding in his heart keeps him going. He crashes through the brush and whips out his wand.

"Lumos," a bright white light protrudes from his wand illuminating the surrounding area. He listens for any sound that could indicate where Draco could be.

Draco leans up against a tall, dark tree and looks out across the little plain hidden beneath the canopy of leaves. His hands feel colder than they usually do and he shoves them into his coat pocket stubbornly as the wind picks up. He tries hard not to sniffle against the cold and the tear tracks just make his face colder, but he can't help it. Malfoy's aren't supposed to be emotional, but he didn't get the memo. He wishes he could be sitting at home with Mother reading over the Daily Prophet with a warm cup of coffee enjoying his freedom because he's a year out of school. But then He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named came along and fucked everything up. Now he's still at Hogwart's with his mother at home by herself because his father is off in Azkaban.

The distant guttural howl makes his hair stand on end. It can't be. A werewolf? It isn't a full moon. Or is it? He can't quite remember what day it is. Friday? Saturday? Sunday, even?

He swallows roughly, maybe hiding out in a forest with hundreds of evil creatures was a bad idea.

Another howl makes his skin crawl, yup, that's definitely a werewolf. That means that it's Friday, the day of the full moon.

"Well shit, I'm fucking dead." He whispers helplessly as the growling grows ever closer.

He holds his wand out in front of him and jumps when he hears a twig snap behind him. A pair of yellow eyes peers out from the thicket. He swallows roughly and sighs in defeat. It's definitely a werewolf. And he's just a wizard with a stick that makes magic happen. Nothing compared to a pair of hungry eyes and razor sharp teeth. And those claws, those scare him the most because they remind him of knives and him and knives have never been the best combination. He shivers at the mention of knives and stares back at the advancing eyes. It's no use running. He hears another snap behind him and let's out a quiet whimper, he knows this is the end. He isn't going to die in the war like he wanted to before, he's going to die in the Forbidden Forest because he's an over dramatic teenager with an unrequited love.