Chapter twenty five

Start from the beginning

"I still can't believe you did not inform me about her."

"Mom..." I let out an exasperated sigh as I rub my face, "don't start this again."

When mom learned about Adriana, she was shocked to say the least. She knew who Adriana was in fact, she was the first person I have ever told about Adriana and instantly, she fell in love with her. However when Adriana left, mom was left distraught because we all thought she died. When she saw her few weeks ago, she was baffled and demanded to know the truth. She threw a lot of questions at me but I didn't answer any of it, Fabio told her everything. Ever since then, she has been looking after Adriana as well as everyone else.

"Dante." She said in a very firm tone which made me look at her, "I don't appreciate this behaviour. I am your mother and I have the right to know what you and the rest of the boys get up to."

I didn't say anything and just nodded my head because I respected mom the most. If she did not like it, I did not like any of it as well.

"Scusa mom." I say, "It's just that I've been trying to figure out a way to get my head around this. It's been a month and I still haven't managed to be adjusted to this.... big of a change."

"Figlio," she held my hand, "no one is asking you to change for anything. All I am asking you to do is talk to me il mio amore, I'm not asking for the world."

I clench my jaws and watch her as she caresses my cheeks before she pulled me into Adriana's room. I feel myself tremble as mom held my hand and then stood at the foot of the bed, Adriana was laying at the centre of the bed with all the tubes stuck to her.

"She may be the same girl you knew years ago but I know deep down, to you that she isn't, and it's okay Dante. It's okay too feel this way because at the end of the day, you are still human."

I blink my eyes a couple of times to get rid of the stinging sensation that masked my eyes.

"How do you love someone so much and then hate them the next second?" I find myself asking,

"Dante, why do you hate her?"

I watch mom for a few seconds before my gaze turns back to Adriana.

"To be honest with you mom, I don't think it's a plausible answer anymore." I sigh, "I thought I hated her because she left me to die but after what happened a few weeks ago, I can't stop worrying about her."

"Why?"

I shrugged my shoulder and frowned,

"She... she could've... died."

"Oh Dante." She sighed after me as she pulled me into another embrace. I wrapped my arms around her and felt some sort of content as I enjoy mom's love. There was nothing in this world that could beat how mom would love someone. She was the most sweetest person I have known. "You still love her."

I pull away from her and shake my head,

"I don't love her anymore mom, that ship sailed years ago." I said,

"Then why do you care so much about her that you have to keep her in the estate? As for us, she is nothing to us. We don't have to look after her, Dr Araldo doesn't have to treat her; the doctors at the hospital can do that." She pointed out and each time she did, I remained silent however, I was agitated because mom was right. I knew for a fact that I no longer loved her but I did have a deep regard for her, I just did not want to admit it.

"Mi scusi, mi dispiace." Both our attention turns to the door at the voice that interrupted us. Dr Araldo stood at the door with a small smile as he stepped in. "It's time for her check up."