Epilogue

Thranduil paced the familiar hallway outside of her room, hands clenched behind his back in fear, worry, excitement, and every other emotion imaginable. Miluiel had tried to assuage his fears, but there was nothing anyone could do until he saw the bright sparkle in his love's eyes again. Just on the other side of the door, Alina was undergoing the change back to an elf.

It had taken Radagast a good three months to find the correct spell but they had needed the time. There had still been so much they had needed to discuss. He still couldn't believe Alina was even related to the vile creature he had called his wife. He had spent the time trying to make up for his crude behavior though he doubted he'd ever be able to give her as much as she'd given him. She was undoubtedly the kindest, strongest, and most beautiful person he had ever met and he was amazed it took him that long to realize it.

A scuffle on the other side of the door brought his worried movements to a halt. Radagast and Elrond had been in there for the better part of the day and not once had he been allowed to enter. They had been giving him reports throughout, all positive but still he couldn't help but worry. He had tried to convince Alina that it wasn't worth the risk, that he would love her just the same if she remained human. But she was adamant, even knowing the risks. If the spell failed she'd be comatose for the rest of her life. His beautiful Caladwen had insisted that she would never hurt him that way nor would she give up any time with him. He smiled recalling how steaming mad she had been that he even suggest she remain human.

The subtle creaking of hinges indicated they were through and he waited expectantly as Radagast's disheveled appearance came into view. The weary smile on his face was all the encouragement he needed and he swept past the wizard, giving him a soft clap on the back in gratitude. He practically ran to the bed where Elrond was waiting, hands out in a halting motion. Impatiently, Thranduil stopped near his friend. "Yes?" he questioned expectantly. Elrond smiled as he addressed the king. "I know you want to see her, but she's resting and shouldn't be disturbed. You can sit by her though until she awakens."

"Thank you, old friend," Thranduil responded, sending him a smile of gratitude before heading to sit near the bed. As he saw her though, he came to a stop in confusion. "She's still human?" he asked the other elf in concern. But Elrond just waved his concern away. "Don't worry, she is elven, but her soul has meshed to that body. We couldn't change it, however, she retained the elven immortality and resilience. Think of her as an elf in a human body that will not age. Now hush. You mustn't wake her." And with that, he exited the room leaving them alone.

Alina slept for the rest of the day and most of the next. When she opened her eyes, nothing felt different and for a moment her heart started to race in fear. That is until she saw the smiling elf by her side. With a grin, she launched herself at him, catching him by surprise and sending them both to the ground. Laughing, she embraced him tightly, never wanting to let go. He returned the embrace and stood them both up. "You have no idea how glad I am to see your sparkling eyes, my love."

"I know you were worried, but I'm so glad I did it. Now we have forever," Alina said, her heart overflowing with joy. "Speaking of forever," Thranduil started, leading her to the balcony. The cool breeze blew through her hair and she inhaled the crisp autumn air. Thranduil turned to face her and took her hands in his. "Caladwen, I love you. More than I love life itself, more than the sun loves the moon. I look at the stars in the sky and all I can think is that your eyes shine brighter. I look at the spring's first bloom and see your rosy cheeks. I hear the bells of the town and think of your bewitching laughter. All the jewels in my vault are worthless in comparison to you. You have invaded my very being and my heart beats in time with yours. I cannot think of anyone with whom I'd rather spend forever, so Caladwen, will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

Alina felt the tears streaming down her face and all she could do was nod her head enthusiastically, a smile splitting her face. Swallowing against the lump in her throat, she threw her arms around his neck before whispering a quiet, "yes". His grin rivaled her own and he leaned down to kiss her with all the love he could manage.

When they broke apart, he whispered a quiet "I love you, Caladwen."

"And I love you, Thranduil. Forever and always."  

THE END.