Chapter 17

The pale glow of moonlight fell on the girl's slim face as she slumbered fitfully. Even in dreams, he plagued her with his cruel words that cut her deeper than any knife. Tears dampened her cheeks. The door creaked open softly casting a thin beam of candlelight into the room. With a level of stealth only elves could achieve, soft footsteps padded across the floor slowly, cautiously. The soft breeze caught the curtains around the large bed, billowing and mirroring the movements of the sleeping girl.

His hair gleamed in the dimness as he approached the bed. Hesitantly, a hand reached out trying to dry the tears the seemed to never stop. The tossing and turning slowed as she nuzzled into the comforting hand.

A whispered "I am sorry" floated off into the night.

Alina woke with a start to the feeling of someone watching her. Sitting up abruptly, she looked around only to find an empty room. It was the middle of the night, and the moon shone in through the open balcony door giving it an ethereal glow.

Her eyes felt tight and puffy and Alina knew she had never really stopped crying. Laying back down, she tried to close her eyes and fall back to sleep, but every time she did, Thranduil's mocking face floated past her eyes, and Vanya's words echoed in her ears. Realizing sleep was impossible, Alina got up and grabbed a silky grey robe from the wardrobe wrapping it around herself. Taking a candle from the nightstand, she hesitantly opened the door, peeking out to see if anyone was up and about. Finding no one, she pushed the door open the rest of the way and walked out. Torches were sporadically lit giving off a dim light that barely reached the ceiling. Alina's eyes adjusted slightly, though she still lit the candle just in case. Clutching the robe tighter to fight the night chill, Alina set off to find the mysterious wing.

The hallways were cold beneath her bare feet, but she didn't care. Walking in what she thought was the right direction, Alina tried to find something familiar to help her in her search. Eventually, the halls started to look dustier and the lights were not as bright. Holding the candle higher, an eerie glow fell over the palace and Alina felt the back of her neck crawl as if someone was watching her. Turning her head sharply, she let out a breath of relief that no one was there.

It took about an hour, but she finally found the wooden door with the emblazoned tree. Looking behind her once more, Alina carefully pushed the door open. It let out a soul startling creak and Alina jumped about a foot in the air in surprise. When no one came rushing to see what the noise was, she decided to rip off the band aid and pushed it the rest of the way. Though the noise seemed deafening, it only lasted about a second and Alina let out a sigh of relief.

Stepping through, she held her candle high trying to see as far as she could. A long hall extended before her, but she could only see about 5 feet in front of her. Doors lined each side and dust particles floated through the air. The open door behind her let in a little light and Alina left it open rather than risking another round of squeaks and creaks.

Trying the first door to her left, she found it to be unlocked and let herself into the room, pleased to find that this door was not in such disrepair. The room was large and grand with granite looking floors and a large columnar fireplace to the left. A massive canvas hung above the mantel, but Alina's light could not reach it. A tall arching window let in the glow of the moon and curtains hung on either side pulled back by long ropes. Bulky furniture was covered in white sheets and it was evident this wing was cast off purposefully. An odd-looking shape resided in the far right corner and Alina's heart quickened as she recognized it.

Racing to the misshapen ghost, Alina cast off the white sheet coughing at the cloud of dust that rose from it. Folding it neatly, she set it on the floor by the bench and sat down. Before her was the most magnificent grand piano she had ever seen. Black wood twisted and curled forming thin legs that looked as though they should not be able to support the large structure. Swooping carvings framed the keys that shone whiter than fresh snow. They seem to call to her, begging for a soft touch after being neglected for so long. And Alina was more than happy to oblige.