Chapter 7

You lucky ducks! Two updates in two days. Whaatt!  I think that's a record for me!  The reason you all get two updates is because a) the last one was quite boring and I felt bad  b) I'm moving back home and trying to find a job so I won't be able to update for a while and c) there have been some fabulous people who have been extremely supportive and this is my way of saying thanks.

There's a lot more Thranduil in this chapter and I think Alina's character really develops

You all are amazing people and I'm so thankful 

Emily

The path was just as winding and beautiful as the night before. Though they were headed in a different direction, the scenery was very much the same and Alina couldn't help but be thankful she hadn't tried to leave the previous night. She surely would have gotten lost and that would have been a bit difficult to explain especially after they had been so welcoming towards her.

Miluiel was leading the way and Alina wondered to what part of the castle they were going this time. She hoped it was somewhere with food. Supper had seemed like a lifetime ago and now it felt like she could eat three meals. As if on cue, her stomach let out the most outrageous growl. Alina could feel her cheeks flushing and even Miluiel looked back at her. "We will get you something to eat right away, m'lady."

"Thank you, Miluiel, but we really shouldn't keep the king waiting should we?" Miluiel chuckled and just kept walking.

Soon enough they came to another door much like the night before though this was smaller and Miluiel just marched on through instead of waiting. Alina had no choice but to follow her. They must have been walking on a slight incline because they were no longer underground. In front of them was a large covered bridge made out of twisting vines and glass. It wasn't very long but through the glass, Alina caught a glimpse of the green forest and a clear rushing stream that ran below them. There was a large drop-off in the distance and Alina could hear a rushing waterfall. She briefly wondered if she would ever get to explore this magnificent kingdom.

Her thoughts were cut short as Miluiel stopped in front of another large door with guards on either side. "M'lady, this is where I must leave you. There are some urgent matters I need to attend to. His majesty is just beyond this door. He's waiting for you." With that, the elf bowed and hurried off down the extensive hallway. Alina drew in a deep breath her hand on the curving door handle. She just couldn't quite draw up the courage to open the door on her own. Suddenly, the door flew open and a very impatient Thranduil stood on the other side looking just as handsome in a silver robe.

"What, pray tell, are you doing?" he questioned. "I don't have all day for your ridiculous human nonsense. If I had realized what a particularly difficult feat opening a door was I would have had you summoned hours sooner so you could open the door yourself," he berated her. Alina could feel her cheeks heating in embarrassment at his scolding but she held her chin high. It reminded her of when her teachers called her out in class and she did not particularly enjoy it.

"I'm sorry, my lord. I was just preparing myself for your inspiring presence." Though Alina was embarrassed she wasn't going to let him walk all over her. Thranduil's eyes narrowed ever so slightly as he realized she was making fun of him. However, if he was upset he showed no other sign. Instead, he brushed past her and strode down the hallway in the same direction Miluiel had gone.

Alina was rooted in the doorway. She couldn't believe he was such a rude creature. And not to mention she still hadn't gotten anything to eat. It took Thranduil precisely three steps before he realized she wasn't going to follow him. He turned around brow raised in question. Alina put her hands on her hips. "I'm sorry but I'd at least like to know where we're going if I'm to follow you blindly. And I haven't eaten in ages. I'm starved so if we could stop by the kitchen- I'm assuming you have a kitchen?" Thranduil looked like he wanted to kill her but he nodded and started walking again.