Chapter 15

The first shop they approached was on the first floor of a tall stone building. The heavy wooden door was propped open and heavenly smells wafted out. Thranduil turned to her before they entered, "Could you take notes on the different shops we enter?"

"Of course, my lord," Alina said digging in her bag to produce the ledger and pen.

Thranduil went ahead through the door, letting go of Seldimira's hand to do so. The little elf pouted before scampering off after him. Alina had no choice but to follow.

The small room was dim, and it took a moment for her eyes to adjust. There were glass covered shelves and cupboards lining every wall, each filled with scrumptious looking pastries, breads, and other goodies. A long glass countertop stood at the back of the shop near a door identical to that in the front. The counter seemed to be refrigerated for cheeses and jams were strategically placed in the display. Little name cards were propped in front of each item though they were written in elvish and Alina could not read them. Thranduil weaved his way to the back of the shop, calling out a name as he did so. Immediately, the back door flung open and a jolly looking woman strode through. She had a long white apron covering a simple dress and flour was clinging to her hands and face. The baker was much shorter than Thranduil and from the rosiness of her cheeks and the way she moved, Alina realized with a start, that she was human. The woman made her way around the counter to where Thranduil stood. She gave a slight curtsy and Thranduil nodded his head in acknowledgement. Then a bright smile broke out on the woman's face and she took Thranduil's hand and vigorously started shaking it. "'Tis a pleasure to see ya again, m'lord. Wasn't expectin' ya fer a few months yet, but we're glad yer here nonetheless," she said with a slight accent. Peering around the king, she saw Seldimira gripping his other hand, and Alina looking around the shop in wonder. "Oh, how rude a me. Not even introducin' maself." Brushing past Thranduil, she made her way to Alina. "Names Corine, ma'am. Pleasure to meet you." She grabbed Alina's hand in a firm grip, shaking it as she had done with Thranduil. "Nice to meet you as well, Corine. You can call me Alina. Do you bake all of this yourself?"

"Sure do, hun. I have help once in awhile whenever the palace needs somethin' but usually it's just me."
"Well, it all looks delicious! And smells even better," Alina said with a kind smile.

"Thank you, hun. I'll pack up a goodie bag for you all." Turning back towards Thranduil, she walked to a shelf and with a soft cloth, selected a small pastry with icing drizzled in intricate chevron patterns. She crouched down in front of Seldimira, who hid halfway behind Thranduil, clinging to his robe. Corine gave her a warm smile. "Now, child, don't think I've forgotten 'bout you. Here's a little somethin' sweet," she said holding out the child-sized pastry. Seldimira looked uncertainly up to Thranduil, who gave her a soft smile and nodded. The child cautiously stepped out from behind the king and stood hands folded in front of the jovial baker. Corine handed the pastry to her waiting until she took a bite to stand up. The girl's face filled with wonder, and she looked up at Corine with a grin, "This is delicious, Corine, thank you very much."

"Yer welcome, dear. Now I don't believe I caught your name."

"Seldimira," she said quietly before taking another nibble at the pastry.
"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Seldimira. Stop in any time."

Soft music and childish laughter drifted through the doorway, and the child looked up at Alina with pleading eyes. "Could I go dance with the other children? Please, Alina?" Alina gave a quick glance to Thranduil, who just shrugged before looking away. She turned back to the pleading girl. "I think that is a wonderful idea. We'll come get you when we are ready to leave, alright? Or you come find us anytime."

"Thank you, Alina," Seldimira said giving her a hug before turning to Thranduil to hug him as well. Alina couldn't help but smile at the heart warming sight. The child made her way to the door before looking back. "And thank you for the treat, Corine."