2.2 | In Contradiction + A Faint Imprint

Start from the beginning

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

| . . . C H A P T E R - 2.2.2 : A - F A I N T - I M P R I N T . . . |

Angad and Kripa returned two songs later while Arnav was still nowhere around. Kripa complained catching her breath, "Khushi, you promised you would come!" She was complaining but the glow on her face otherwise. There was no way she missed my absence.

"I never promised. I said maybe later." I reminded her of my exact words.

She rolled her eyes and grabbed my hand to pull me up. She didn't need to say it for me to know she was going to drag me to the restroom. If you asked me, being a female myself, I didn't understand why we girls always had to go to the restroom in a group. Still, I knew better than to argue with Kripa.

Twenty minutes later - thanks to the long line - we returned and she stopped by the bar. "I need a drink."

I asked, "I thought you weren't going to drink tonight?"

She shrugged, "I wasn't going to since Arnav is here but its hard not to when I'm in a club." I had asked her this before and I knew the answer. Arnav was protective. Seeing the look on my face, she tried to make me understand speaking in his favor, despite everything. "He's many things, Khushi, but one thing is he doesn't show to anyone he cares for very few people this world."

I knew that very well.

Five people, he'd said. Though, I assume that could have changed in last two years.

I swallow the hurt at the thought that even though years passed, I am standing still where he left me then and I have no idea where he had moved on to... or if any of it meant anything to him. Meeting him had changed my entire life. What did it do to him - if it did anything at all, that is.

"Then why do you still risk it?" I questioned unable to understand this. She defended him and yet pushed him as if just asking him to show his overprotective side again.

My eyes caught motion past her shoulder where Arnav was starting to approach us. Damn. Since Kripa's back was towards him, he couldn't have seen her. I did the first thing my instinct told me to and grabbed the shot glass out of her hand and into mines.

She was ready to pout, probably thinking I wasn't going to let her drink and chide her, but I cut her off. "Not a word."

When she noticed me looking past her, she turned around as well. I couldn't see her but her tone indicated how pale her face must be. "Arnie! Hey..."

He asked without a greeting, "What are you doing at the bar?"

"I... uh..." She fumbled to answer.

I was going to regret this. I lied to save her ass, "I needed a drink."

Both their eyes darted my way. Hers, filled with shock and somewhere relief. His, confused yet smirking. I connected the dots. He already didn't believe it when I told him it wasn't me drinking at that night club in Australia.

"Really now?" The challenge was clear in his voice.

My fingers tightened around the glass. Just holding it wasn't enough to convince him and save Kripa. Oh, I was really starting to hate this. Things one must do for their friend. I quickly glanced at Kripa holding the drink up in front of my face. She looked apologetic and scared. I blinked to assure her and locking my gaze with his next, I gulped down the shot.

It stung as it trickled down my throat. The bitter taste tempted me to spit it back out instantly, but I had to hold it back. How can anyone digest this taste?