2.2 | In Contradiction + A Faint Imprint

Začať od začiatku

"As you can see, not here."

Ugh. I am going to have to work on changing my tone towards him from snapping being my go-to if this was going to work.

He scoffed, glancing down at his drink as if contemplating something... perhaps a response? For the first time since we met again after two years, I felt like I was really looking at him. He looked the same and yet, there was something different. I did not know what to term this vibe I was getting off him. Maybe it had something to do with how he looked a bit tired around the eyes.

I mentally shake my thoughts away, telling myself there was nothing as such. He probably just didn't sleep. I do remember he used to pull overnighters back then.

I blink back to him when he lifted his hand and downed the rest of his drink in a big gulp. Then, his eyes met mine and he replied, "And here I thought seeing you with Angad and Kripa that you actually had a nice side. Tell me, do you save all that bitchiness just for me?"

My instant response was with just as much sarcasm. If he wasn't trying, why should I? "What can I do? It just comes naturally. I wonder what triggers such behavior."

I looked around spotting a few drunk people. Some completely wasted despite how early in the evening it was. Groups of friends. Couples. Guys checking girls out. Making a face at the later was instinctual. I did somewhere believe in love given Armaan and Riddhima. Still, at times, it was amusing to see the things people mistook as love.

He whispered in my ear, "Good to know I still hold some place in your life."

When did he move closer? How did I not catch the movement in my peripheral? Despite everything, my unconscious-self let her guard down around him.

My back stiffened on realizing his face was just an inch away from me. I inched back, scrunching away. He seemed to be assessing me. Did he care enough to know I still felt uncomfortable when people I didn't approve of breached my personal bubble?

I cleared my throat, preparing to give a sassy reply but no witty response flashed in my mind. His words repeated. What did he care if I gave any importance to him or not? If he saw the questions in my eyes, he chose to not answer - as always. Not much seemed to have changed in these two years.

I looked away, resting my head back and crossing my arms over my chest. "You don't mean anything to me, Raizada. Never did. So, don't go about carrying false beliefs."

I had no interest in gauging his reaction - whether he believed me or not. If my harsh words hurt him... then good. Can't say he doesn't deserve it.

The screen on his phone lit up when it vibrated with an incoming call. My eyes involuntarily glanced down at the distraction to read the caller ID upside down. Lavanya. He reached for it and answered it. "Yeah?" was all I heard as he answered and pressed a finger over his other ear to focus on hearing over the music while standing up to exit the club so he could attend the call.

I watched him leave.

That name, it continued to bother me.

"...just my best friend. Don't let Kripa tell you anything else about her."

Though those words were years ago, I could still remember every single word in the sentence as if it were yesterday. He said don't listen to Kripa but she did say Lavanya was his girlfriend. I might have chosen to take his word for it, but...

"Taking someone out on Valentine's Day would only happen if the girl was special to me."

His words always in contradiction with one another. Till date, I couldn't understand who Lavanya was to him. A best friend or someone special, for he brought her to that Valentine's ball despite telling me he wouldn't be there. Despite telling me he thought it was a waste.