Chapter 7

TAYLOR'S POV

Half an hour after our screaming match I headed up to Caroline's room. I knocked on the door lightly before entering the room and finding her sitting on her bed, leaning her back against the headboard and with her phone in hand. She didn't look up when I came in.

I came around to the opposite side of the bed and sat next to her with my legs under the covers, not saying anything yet. She sat there scrolling through social media, continuing to ignore me.

I reached over and gently wrapped my hand around her hand that was clutching her phone. I hit the lock button with my index finger and watched the screen go back. I gently pulled the phone out of her hand and set it on the bedside table.

She still didn't say anything, she stared at her fingers, examining them. I sighed.

"You were right babe, Karlie would have loved if I surprised her." I said, pulling her closer to me.

"I wish I could've done it. But I just can't, I hope you understand." I said, wrapping my arms around her and kissed her head. Her facial features softened as she relaxed into my arms, still not saying anything.

"But you still can't speak to me like that. I am your mother and that is completely inappropriate." I said, trying my best to parent and instill a sense of right and wrong.

We sat there in silence for a while, her leaning on me with my arms wrapped around her, running my fingers through her long blonde hair.

"We're going to my parents house tonight for dinner." I said after a while. I saw Caroline thinking for a while.

"Do they know about you and Karlie?" She asked softly.

"Yeah." I replied.

"I told them the same day I told you. We went out for lunch while you were at school." I said.

"How did they take it?" She asked.

"You know, they weren't as shocked as I was expecting. My mom acted like she kind of already knew." I replied, reflecting on the conversation I had with my parents.

"Knew that you liked Karlie or knew that you were gay? Bi? Gay? I don't know." Caroline said, trailing off at the end.

"Knew I liked Karlie." I said.

"And bi." I added, looking down to Caroline.

"You didn't tell me you were bi." Caroline said softly.

"Honey I'm dating Karlie. Karlie is a girl. I don't know what else there is to say." I laughed.

"You said, and I quote, 'I don't know what I am, all I know is I fell for Karlie blah blah blah'." She said.

"Well I'm bi. Was that better?" I asked with a grin.

"Much." She said looking up at me for the first time with a smile on her face.

CAROLINE'S POV

I was met with a warm embrace from Andrea before I was even fully in the door to her house.

"Caroline it's so good to see you." She said, not releasing me from the hug.

"I can't believe you're a senior." She said, letting me go and holding me at arms length. She studied my face as if I'd aged 5 years since we last saw each other a month ago.