five

Carry On My Wayward Son

For There'll Be Peace When You Are Done

MARIA WAS UTTERLY CONFUSED ON WHAT JUST HAPPENED."What in bloody hell was that?" Maria snapped slightly, looking over at Paul. He sighed, running a hand through his hair. He was worried that the saviors may have scared her off. That they might have ruined his only chance at keeping her here.

"Those are the saviors, the people we work for." He explains to her. She nods her head, her eyes mouth opening slightly before pausing her nodding.

"And you people don't do anything about it...because?" She questions, her voice still high. He figured he should spill, tell her about the communities and their plan. 

"We don't have enough people here." He says, he pauses, seeing that lots of people had turned their heads to listen to them yap about this. He shook his head, and gestured her to follow him inside. 

Maria was shocked. Paul just let people walk on the community? To come in, take their stuff and go? She wasn't sure what to say. Now, she was even more unsure whether she should stay or go. 

They made their way up the stairs, and into Paul's room. Right away Maria started talking again. Asking questions, and rambling on about how he shouldn't let this happen. Finally he interrupted her, 

"Maria, it's not like we even have a choice." He tells her. She looks at him confused. Of course he has a choice, there is always a choice, isn't there. "I know what you're thinking, that there is a choice, but this time? There isn't." He explains to her.

"Tell me. Tell me everything that is going on, everything I should know." She tells him, not giving him a choice in this matter. Paul thought for a moment, before proposing an offer. 

"One condition." He says to her, she tilts her head, waiting. "You have to stay here. You have to stay at The Hilltop." He says to her. Maria's breath hitches in her throat. Now she questioned if she really needed to know. 

Yet something inside her. Something in her head told her that she needed to do this. That she needed to stay and help Paul fight these people. To help the people of The Hilltop once again live a somewhat normal life. 

"Okay." She says to him, nodding her head.  She knew it was the right choice. Yet she had a feeling that in the end, it would screw her over. 

"Okay." Paul said back. A small smile made its way to his lips. Maria stayed with a straight face though, only saying yes to find out information. Plus, who said she had to keep the promise, if she left she would never seem him again. Yet, she didn't think she would be doing that.

Paul was happy. He knew that he just met her, yet the interest in her had sparked him. He had usually taken an interest in boys lately. Yes, Paul was bisexual. He has had both boyfriends, and girlfriends, and was very open about it. He was happy, and still is.

"The saviors. We work for them, as you can tell." He begins, and then continues to tell her. Tell her everything. "There's multiple communities, The Hilltop, Alexandria, and The Kingdom. It was awhile ago when The Hilltop and The Kingdom had came across the saviors. Well, they came across us. To make their point, their leader, Negan, kills one person right off the bat. He bashes a baseball bat covered in barb wire onto their head. Beating them into the ground." Paul told her.

Maria was shocked. She knew people were bad now, but that? Thats evil. This Negan guy knew how to make a point. 

"Alexandria recently came across them. Me and a few of their people took out one of their outposts. We thought it was the only one. We were wrong." He explains to the girl. Maria backed up, and sat down at Pauls table. She knew it was going to be a long story, so she might as well relax a little. 

"You hadn't seen them yet, but there's two women here from Alexandria. Maggie and Sasha. You haven't seen them yet because they are in Carsons place. Maggie's husband was killed the other night when they tried to get here, she had a scare with her pregnancy. Yet, she is currently okay. Sasha, lost her boyfriend Abraham there, and came here for Maggie." Paul continues. Maria listened, not interrupting, which was rare. 

"You will meet them all soon, and we all will go to Alexandria. We are going to be fighting against the saviors." He finishes, he studied her reaction. She had bit her lip, nodding her head. She looked like she was processing everything, her mind focusing on thoughts. 

She was thinking about how she wanted to help. How she was going to help. She knew that these people, these communities needed as much as they could get. They needed people who knew how to handle herself. 

"I'm helping." She tells him, staring down at the floor. She nodded her head, looking up at him. He was shocked. Just a day ago she was ready to leave. Now, she was ready to fight. He wasn't sure if he was scared, or to be happy. Scared that she could be arrogant, and get herself killed. Happy that they had another fighter, a real one. 

"Okay." He says. He looked outside, to see Maggie leaving Carsons place, Sasha following in suite. "Come with me." He says, turning from the window to Maria. She nodded her head, and followed him out the door. 

When Paul exited the building, Maggie and Sasha looked over. A small smile made their way to both of their faces. They walked up to him, Paul and Maria doing the same back.

"Jesus." A tall girl with short brown hair spoke. She pulled him into a hug, closing her eyes slightly. 

"How are you feeling?" He questioned, wanting to make sure she was okay. Maria stood next to him. She looked the the two girls in front of her up and down. She was almost as tall as them, since she was a little more than an inch shorter than Paul. The two talked for a moment, till the colored women in front of them cleared her throat.

"Who's this?" She asks, looking at Maria. Maria smiled slightly, putting her hand out to the girl. 

"Maria, just got here a few days ago." She says to the women. She nodded her head at her, shaking her hand.

"Sasha, and this is Maggie." She says to Maria, then gesturing to the women next to her. Maggie put her hand out, which Maria took, shaking it.

"We need to talk, he four of us." Paul says to the women. They glance at eachother for a moment, before nodding their heads. 

-----

1,144 words

Sorry this is a short chapter, I'll be going to a little more than 1k words now, only because 2k words gets pretty hard when trying to keep suspense and such. 

Sorry for the sucky chapter too <3

Make sure to leave a like and comment for a new chapter.