one

DON'T LET THEM SEE WHAT
GOES DOWN IN THE KITCHEN

MARIA WAS TIRED OF BEING ALONE. Yet at the same time, she loved it. She only had to watch her back, no one else's. Maria loved that she didn't have to worry about anyone else. Being alone, you don't get attached, and no one gets attached to you. That's what Maria feared, being attached, and loosing someone, or them loosing you.

She sat down in a convenient store, having already cleared it out. Opening a granola bar, she thankfully ate it, happy to find something that she didn't have to kill to eat. Usually when she ate, it was an animal she had to kill. Relaxing her head against one of the shelves, she closed her eyes for a moment. Moments like this she enjoyed, knowing she was safe, that no one was there. Taking another happy bite, she threw the wrapper off to the side, before rubbing her face.

Taking a sip of water, she stood up and brushed off her pants. Bending down to grab her machete, she falls to the ground, hearing the front door open. 'Geeks can't open doors' Maria thinks, while ducking down to the ground more. Peeking around the corner, she sees a man covered head to toe. Her eyes squint at him, looking him over as it was around 90 degrees outside, and he had enough layers for it to be 20 degrees and he would be okay.

The man looked around the store, figuring it was clear. He takes a bag off of his back, and begins to look through the shelves. Maria panics slightly, knowing he would end up coming down her row. She silently made her way around, trying her best to avoid the stranger.

Turning around a corner, she somehow steps on the wrapper she had tossed earlier. Knowing the the man had to have heard, she stands up and runs out of the store. She quickly makes her way around, trying her best to not run in a straight line. After a few moments, she comes to a stop, figuring she had lost the stranger and was most likely safe.

Bending down, she grabbed her knees slightly, taking in deep breaths of air. Running a hand trough her hair, she begins to walk again, not having a place to go. Maria was once again alone.

Days had pasted, and Maria had made her way a few towns over. She had back tracked once in awhile due to the dead. While in a random house searching, she had found a gun, almost like the one she used to have before it got taken from her. It had a full clip already inside the gun, and while searching the house further she found 4 more. Smiling at her finds, Maria sat on the couch. She had been through the whole house, searching every room thoroughly. For a moment once again, she felt the slightest bit safe.

It was rare for her to sit on anything that was even remotely soft nowadays. Usually, Maria had to spend the night sleeping in a tree, when she even did sleep. Sleeping now consisted of waking up every time a bush moves, even if it was just the wind. Bags never left under her eyes, they were there everyday. Even on the nights she got an ounce of sleep.

A noise from outside cause Maria to jolt up from relaxation. Grabbing her new gun, she quietly went to the window, peeking out from behind the curtain. There stood the man she had seen days before. The man from the store, stood in the road, kicking a walker in the face.

Gasping slightly, she had forgot about the danger. She was surprised that he could possibly do that, and wondering how long it took him to get these skills. Flashing back into reality, she pushed herself away from the window. Pressing her back against the the closest wall, she took a deep breath.

'Was this guy following me?' She question in her head. Glancing back outside, she noticed the guy was gone. Furrowing her eyebrows, she takes another look, this time spotting the man. A slight gasp escaped her lips, as she hadn't though he would have chosen this house. Of course he did though, she was inside, and she had been in the same situation with him already before.