49. Back from the Death

"Why do I have to sit with the Nazi in the backseat? That's not fair at all!" I complain groaning about my seat next to Jasper Sitwell who shoots me a rather indignant look. During our whole ride to the Triskelion, I've kept distance to the officer and preferred to look through the window at the highway. "If you deny that you're a Nazi now, I'll lose my patience to control my powers for good."

A chuckle escapes Sam's lips as Steve sighs tiredly. "Insight's launching in sixteen hours. We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the Helicarriers directly."

"What?! Are you crazy?? That is a terrible, terrible idea." Sitwell disagrees and suddenly, a loud noise comes from the car roof and a hand smashes the window to grab Sitwell and throw him into the oncoming traffic. My eyes widen at the death of Jasper Sitwell and I'm forced to cover my eyes with my arms, protecting myself from the rain of broken glasses. My heart almost jumps out of my chest and I gasp in shock, trying not to scream.

"Eve!" Steve shouts my name and pulls me on his lap to the passenger seat when bullets pierce their way through the roof into the backseat. Who the hell is attacking us?! I clench my teeth and hold onto Steve, pulling my legs closer, so Sam can pull on the broken handle.

The assassin from the car roof lands, through the sudden stop, elegantly on the street and I stare at the soldier. His brown long hair is messy, covering his face with the mask and goggles but what actually catches my attention is the metal arm, designed with the red star. The Winter Soldier.

For a second, only a short moment, I'm taken aback by his appearance and an indescribable emptiness is left in my chest for unknown reasons. His deadly dangerous atmosphere makes me speechless.

Another car smashes into ours from behind, clearly Hydra's car, and pushes us along as my waist painfully meets the car dashboard. All of a sudden, the Winter Soldier jumps back onto our car and smashes without hesitation the windscreen to pull out the steering wheel.

"Shit!" Sam swears as the car starts swaying from the road and I shoot blasts of electricity at the Winter Soldier but he already jumps onto the vehicle behind us.

"Hang on!" Steve yells and breaks open the door, the strong wind enters the car with a loud rush. Knowing his plan, I grab Sam and the three of us hold onto each other, flying out of the car and sliding on the car door through the streets. The jar is deafening and Sam rolls roughly away, immediately standing up like soldiers always do while Steve and I remain on the car door. My whole body hurts from the harsh landing but I force myself to stand up.

Hydra's car stops right in front of us and the Winter Soldier steps out with his team. I notice how we hold up the traffic and put the life of others in danger, so I shoot a beam into the air, giving them a warning. The assassin aims a rifle at us, pulling the trigger and Steve shoves me aside, using his shield. The missile explodes and throws Steve off the bridge, leaving a toxic and blinding smoke.

"Steve!" I scream and want to check on him but the Winter Soldier doesn't waste another second to shoot at me. I dodge and hide behind the cars as a storm of bullets comes. Sam is a few meters away from me, protecting himself as well. Trying to catch my breath, I feel how the adrenaline kicks in and create electricity in my hands. "Okay, now I'm pissed."

I knock out a part of the Hydra team with my powers and run towards the Winter Soldier, planning to attack him. But the next missile flies towards me and instead of running away, I shoot a blast of electricity at it, causing a massive explosion. The pressure throws us both away and my head hits harshly the ground. Groaning in pain, I feel a warm liquid running down my forehead and carefully touch the wound. Blood is on my fingers and the dizziness spreads through my mind.