Chapter 3 - Father

“I’m surprised you won’t join me, Jett,” Syrus said with a smile. “You love these picture puzzles.”

After talking with Violet I decided to head home and tell Rose the news. Although Violet admitted she was innocent, she told me she wouldn’t admit it to the courts. All she left as an explanation was “they’ll kill Rose.” So naturally I had to warn her.

When I arrived home, I noticed Syrus’s car was parked outside. I was surprised to see Rose let him in. I thought maybe she needed more time, but Rose seems to gradually be getting better. I’m really glad.

“What picture puzzles?” Rose asked looking confused.

“The ones where you find the differences,” Syrus tried to explain.

Rose still looked confused.

“He’s talking about the puzzles where they give you two different pictures of the same image,” I tried to explain further, “and you spot the differences between the two.”

Syrus held up one of the puzzles.

“Oh, I see! Wow, you really like puzzles and stuff, huh Jett?” Rose said smiling.

She’s been doing that more often. She hardly seems phased by the information I gave her about Violet. I wonder why? Rose must have noticed the confusion in my face.

“What’s wrong, Jett?” Rose asked, puzzled again.

“I really don’t know anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

I shook my head.

“I just can’t imagine why your sister would be caught up in something like this. How is she protecting you? Why are you in danger?”

Rose’s smile faded.

“I already told you, I don’t know.”

I grabbed Rose’s arm and looked her in the eyes.

“She said they’d kill you.”

Rose looked at me for a moment and then smiled again.

“Yeah, but I’m not worried about it.”

Rose started laughing.

“You’ll figure it out, right?” Rose asked.

She gave me a wink and headed into the kitchen.

“I guess she’s more excited that her sister isn’t a crazy murderer,” Syrus said, trying to make sense of things.

“We don’t know that.”

“Well that’s what she said!”

I honestly wasn’t sure what to believe anymore. None of this seemed to make sense, and Rose could be in danger.

Syrus sat there for a moment, puzzled by my silence.

“Jett, what’s really bothering you?”

I shook my head.

“You wouldn’t understand.”

Syrus laughed.

“Of course I’ll understand! I’m Syrus! I know everything!”

It was that kind of attitude that sometimes really pissed me off.

“That’s just it, Syrus. You never lose! You always know!”

I shook my head.

“Two murders happened practically before my eyes and I couldn’t make heads or tails of either one!”