Chapter XIII

I laid awake for hours the next morning. I didn’t go down for breakfast. I just wanted to stay in my room and be ignored.

Around seven, there was a knock on the doorway of my room, and I glanced over, frowning when I saw Fenix there. He was holding a tray of food, I assumed from breakfast.

What was he doing?

I sat up slowly as he came in, setting the tray on the small table by the bed. I rose an eyebrow at him, but he only looked at me for a second before he left the room.

Glancing over, I noticed there was some toast and oatmeal on the tray, with a glass of what I assumed to be orange juice. That was disturbingly nice.

… With my luck, they were trying to poison me…

I risked it anyway, nibbling on the toast. I was hungrier than I realized, after not eating dinner the previous night. Before I knew it, the tray was devoid of food. But what did I do with it? Leave it on the table, or take it down? What if I ran into Danielle downstairs?

I sighed quietly, annoyed at all the questions going through my head. Just take the tray down, and go back to the room. Simple.

Carefully, I made my way down the steps of the house, avoiding the creaking one and going into the kitchen. The house seemed to be empty, but I didn’t put it past Danielle to be sneaking around somewhere. I quickly put the tray on the counter and all but ran back to my room.

That was easy enough. Almost too easy.

I brushed the thought off and went over to the window in my room, peeking through the curtains. I could see everything going on in the village, and was able to point out Fenix. Mostly because of his hair.

I’d never seen someone with white hair before. Unless they were older. But he didn’t look too much older than I was. Probably in his twenties. Then again, we aged slower than Humans, so for all I knew, he could be in his forties or fifties.

I watched as he weaved through the crowd of people, most of which were going about setting things up for Chancelor. Repainting houses, or repairing fences. Danielle was with him too, surprise surprise.

Thinking of them made me remember what Hathorne had said. About blaming their father for how they acted. I wanted to know what he meant, but I couldn’t really ask them. One of them didn’t like me, and the other didn’t seem to speak at all. To me, at least.

Six rolled around, and I hadn’t been bothered all day. Danielle and Fenix had come back to the house at some point, but I only knew because I heard them come in. Neither of them had come up the stairs.

I was debating on going down for dinner when the answer was made for me. I was sitting upright on the bed when there was another knock on the doorway, making me look over. Fenix was there with another tray as he came in and set it on the table, like the last one. I wanted to thank him, but I couldn’t seem to find my voice as I looked up at him. He remained silent, glancing at me before leaving again.