Thinking of guys reminds Vanessa of the one she's interested in now.

When Ivie found out from Lena that John got hurt trying to help Mason, she told Vanessa and Selynn. Being the do-gooder that Vanessa is, she had to go see if John was okay.

So just a few days ago Vanessa visited John to make sure he was alright. Putting her trust in John, Vanessa told him that she knew about magic and heard what happened with him.

John claimed that he used a big spell that he's never used before and it drained his magic, but he's okay now.

After talking a little while longer, Vanessa decided to make her move.

Vanessa smiles when she remembers what happened...

"I know that everything's been really crazy lately, but I remember you saying at the beginning of summer that you'd like to hang out sometime. Would you still like to do that?" Vanessa asks John confidently without a hint of a blush.

"Yeah, I'd like to hang out sometime. But can it be after school starts? My parents are in town right now and I'd like to spend some time with them before they have to leave again." John says, staring into Vanessa's eyes uncertainly.

"Yeah, that's fine." Vanessa says quickly. She definitely understands.

Vanessa thinks about how her parents are always at work, where they work with Lena and Ivie's parents as scientists. They all have different specific areas of science they explore, but they work well together.

That's when John's parents arrive home. "Johnathan! We're home!" A female voice calls out, presumably John's mom.

Vanessa stands up from the couch quickly with John following close behind.

John's mom walks in looking like the kind of mother who is weirdly fashion forward. Kind of like a model. And she's definitely beautiful enough to be one with her perfect flowing blond hair. Now Vanessa knows where John gets his good looks.

Mrs. Caster's presence makes Vanessa feel self conscious, which is a new thing for Vanessa considering she's not easily shaken like that over someone else's appearance.

John's mom stops suddenly at the sight of Vanessa standing next to John. "Well who's this?" She asks in a nicely curious tone. The slight squint of her eyes is the only indication that she is unhappy.

"This is my friend, Vanessa." John answers in a neutral tone. He speaks to his mother in a way that suggests he doesn't believe he'll be in trouble for anything, like his mom never gets on to him. Vanessa knows this must be because his parents are usually gone.

"Do you two hang out a lot?" John's mom asks him, then turns her head to include Vanessa.

It seems a bit depressing to Vanessa that John's mom would have to ask that. A parent should be involved with their child's life.

Vanessa knows that John's parents are gone to protect him and his sisters, so that no one can find and use them for their magic. But it's still really sad.

Vanessa opens her mouth to speak but John steps up first. He's quick, almost as if answering simply is a reflex for him around his mother.

"No mom, she just came by to see how I was doing since I was sick." John replies. Vanessa wonders why John is speaking in code. Vanessa knows what really happened, but does his mother not know?

"That's so sweet of you dear. Will you be staying for dinner?" She asks Vanessa, not missing a beat.

"No ma'am. I have to get going now. I need to make sure everything's ready for school tomorrow." Vanessa holds her breath, hoping she didn't say too much and sound like someone who blabs their mouth all the time out of nervousness.